• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

another volumes issue

Bellybuster

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have added in a recipe from scratch and am having problems with volumes.
  The recipe is for 50 litres, my equipment profile is set correctly for 50 litre batches but my system can't take all the water so I have kettle top up set for 10 litres. Beer smith assumes you are adding this water post boil but I would like to add it pre-boil by doing a 10 litre sparge (BIAB). 
  I know this is a simple "just do it" but it would be nice to have the brew steps just like I'm doing it. Is there a way??

thanks for any help

You need to make a mash profile as a single infusion with batch sparge.  Then remove the kettle top off to add the volume to the sparge.  When you specify the mash as BIAB by checking the BIAB box in the profile, Beersmith currently defines BIAB as a full volume mash or no sparge with top off.  So make sure this box is unchecked.

Ahhhhhhh, excellent, thank you so much. Never even crossed my mind to do it that way.

One of my 'issues' when people consider BIAB is the lack of acknowledgement that the bag is in fact your mash tun.  While it is true that the original Australian method was a full volume mashing, it has evolved beyond that initial process definition to become an extremely flexible and economical replacement for the traditional mash tun and filter screen.  Even at full volume, it is no different from a standard single infusion process.  I've even done a step mash using a bag, ending up at full volume at final mash temperature.

Back