• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Changing default directory

Baron Von MunchKrausen

Grandmaster Brewer
Master Brewer
Reaction score
I have beersmith2 running on a work computer and home computer.
I changed the default directory to "Microsoft onedrive" in the cloud, which synchronizes any changes.
I was hoping recipes would show up automatically in the "My recipes" tree. Not that easy.
Can someone explain the procedure for retrieving recipes in this manner, or perhaps direct me to a tutorial?

Thank you.

Hi,
  The change documents directory (File menu) will move your data.  I do not recommend running from a cloud/shared drive however as there is nothing in BeerSmith to prevent it from overwriting data if you have more than one program accessing the network drive.  People have had data loss as a result.

Also since BeerSmith writes archive and temporary data to the directory some cloud drives have latency issues that create problems with the sychronization. 

I recommend using the cloud folder (BeerSmithRecipes.com account) to share recipe data across machines and using a local drive to store your data.

Brad

Thank you Brad.
Just as you described, I found it did not work well.
I'll revert back to the default directory and use the cloud for working copies between home and office.

Back