• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

The Virgin Wört Experiment

mumblingsages

New Forum Member
Reaction score
This might apply to some AHA rallies too, as I know Surly Brewing gave away wört at their AHA rally last summer... here's the question but first a little background....

My local homebrew club has been talking with a local brewery about a little competition. The brewery has agreed to supply pre-boiled wört in 5 gal carboys. I guess, technically its a partial mash but for clarity what they intend to do is: dough in and mash a bunch of Golden Promise, sparge with 170degree water to the brew kettle and then out into their plate chiller prior to putting into 5 gal carboys. The goal/hope is this would be in the 1.050 gravity range. Each member would then take that home and brew something with it.  We would then return in a couple of months for "People's Choice" type award.

Now the question. How does one create an extract recipe in BeerSmith with that as the start, such that I know I'll be with 2015 Beer Style Guidelines?

Not sure if this matters, but I'm not a whole grain brewer yet....

I would just count it as extract. BeerSmith is going to assume you're adding water, even though it's already in the wort. So, as extract, you can just modify the water amount to get the batch size you intend. I think somewhere between 6 and 7 lbs of liquid extract will get you the 1.050 targeted gravity.

I wonder if we are going to the same event March 20th on historic 3rd avenue?
I was searching for the same thing.

Back