• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

First bottling

swoag

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I am in the midst of brewing my first batch and was cleaning bottles a couple days ago, and after hand washing, I ran through the dish washer. I figured, what could it hurt. Later in the day I just happened to come across something about rinse aids. Turns out I ran my bottles through with detergent that included a rinse aid which is apparently bad for head retention.

Any advice on removing the layer of rinse aid from the bottles?

I had seen something about a solution of vinegar and water, was wondering if that would be the way to go, or if there are other cleaners that would work the same or better.

Thanks

I always fill a large plastic tub with a mix of water and bleach . 30ml ( 1oz) of bleach to 20 litres ( 5.2G ) of water let them soak in that mix for an hour or so then rinse very well with hot water from the kitchen tap. This i got from Charlie Papazian's book and it has all ways worked well for me. Just make sure it is the plain bleach with no additives.

Back