Author Topic: Retirement hobby  (Read 7953 times)

Offline ditchdodger

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Retirement hobby
« on: March 08, 2016, 01:34:38 PM »
Hi there!
Retired last year and recently decided to add home brewing to my hobby list. Years ago I used to brew from kits in 5 gallon batches but quickly grew tired of the bottle washing/bottling aspect of the hobby. This time I decided to go with small batch brewing and limit myself to 1 gallon batches. So far I'm loving it! Being somewhat handy I've also been getting a kick out of designing/building some my own equipment including an immersion chiller sized for my brew pot and a small cooler style mash tun which is proving to be extremely effective.

The BeerSmith 2 app on my iPad has helped me produce a couple of good brews already but I can do better, hopefully with the assistance of this forum's knowledgeable members. Watch for my posts requesting advice and help.
DD

Londor

Re: Retirement hobby
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2021, 05:44:15 AM »
Brewing is a very delicate job, you have to know exactly the dose of all components, temperature, time of ferment and many other aspects, to get some good beer.

Offline Kevin58

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • God is great, beer is good and people are crazy
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 06:46:36 AM »
Brewing is a very delicate job, you have to know exactly the dose of all components, temperature, time of ferment and many other aspects, to get some good beer.

That's funny. I have begun practicing what I call "no stress brewing". I found I was getting too wound up over precise temperatures, times and exact measurements. It's not that I ignore those things I just don't worry if things don't work out.

Welcome ditchdodger! I am retired also and love being able to brew when I want to and not when my work schedule allows. Brew the beers that make you happy. Brew with the equipment and techniques that make you happy. You've spent a lifetime working on other peoples schedules and by their rules. It is our time to enjoy and be our own bosses.
If you?re stressing over homebrewing, you?re doing something wrong.
- Denny Conn

Offline BOB357

• Beer is my bucket list!
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 09:26:52 AM »
Welcome to to the retirement world and back to homebrewing. I've been retired coming up on 7 years. Have gone to smarter and less physical techniques over the past few years, but still brewing 5 gallon batches. Between having more time to drink and more nagging I just can't see small batch brewing in my future.
Bob

Offline Group W

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2021, 06:58:17 PM »
BeerSmith is a wonderful recipe builder. If you have used spreadsheets, it’s easy to understand. Welcome back to the hobby!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 07:10:35 PM by Group W »

Offline BOB357

• Beer is my bucket list!
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2021, 09:50:22 PM »
Well, howdy Dan. Been a while.
Bob

Offline Group W

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2021, 08:44:18 PM »
Just a toe in the water Bob. We can catch up later.