Author Topic: Greetings from Crewe, UK  (Read 4480 times)

Offline Scroopster

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Greetings from Crewe, UK
« on: May 30, 2016, 02:24:14 AM »
Hi,

I'm a returning all-grain brewer after a 20 year hiatus, having recently purchased a Grainfather. I've dusted down my old books from back in the day & updated quite a few - Papazian in particular - I think he's great, so enthusiastic. I've also bought a few clone recipe books from across the pond so I'm looking forward to trying out some American brews soon.

So far I have brewed a couple of all-grain kits, which didn't work out too well (I think I misinterpreted the Grainfather water calculation) & having found a local brewery that sells crushed malt in 25kg bags, I've brewed a Courage Directors clone from a Graham Wheeler CAMRA recipe, although the OG is considerably higher in my beer - this is being bottled & mini-kegged today.

Really looking forward to getting stuck into the brewing again & hopefully creating some really good beers.

If you are ever in the Crewe area - give me a message\email etc & come round for a beer.

Offline brewfun

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Malt dust is just alcohol's glitter
Re: Greetings from Crewe, UK
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 07:19:51 AM »
Congratulations! Your long fast is over!

I think you'll find that some significant changes have occurred in the areas of sanitation and yeast, since you last brewed.

If your interest is in classic historic styles, you should acquire books by Ronald Pattinson. He's done considerable research based on brewing logs of the period. Although there are some holes and more research to be done, his is the most complete, thus far.
Beer Appreciation is the space between pints.

Offline txpitmaster

• BeerSmith Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 07:13:51 AM »
Hail and well met!

Offline Maine Homebrewer

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 01:53:54 PM »
I've been brewing for a little over fifteen years, and I still refer to my Papazian books from time to time. The Companion especially.
"To alcohol! The cause of - and solution to - all of life's problems!" -Homer Simpson

Offline crewewolf

• Brewer at Proudspire
  • BeerSmith New Brewer
  • Fear The Beast
    • Crewewolf Brewing Co
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 01:34:54 AM »
Nice to hear another homebrewer here in Crewe, cant afford a grain father yet so still using two urns and cooler. ;D
It’s like gambling somehow. You go out for a night of drinking and you don’t know where you’re going to end up the next day. It could work out good or it could be disastrous. It’s like the throw of the dice.
—Jim Morrison

Offline BeerSlayer421

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 04:27:19 PM »
Wow 20 years!  OG  8). Welcome.
Laundry Room Brewing Hobbyist using
reverse osmosis unit water :)

modification