• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hibiscus Addition...

bobo1898

Grandmaster Brewer
Master Brewer
Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts on inputting hibiscus into Beersmith?

I use dried petals and add them at whirlpool/flame out. I've been inputting them under hops because I have the whirlpool option. I suppose I can input them under miscellaneous at 0 minutes in the boil, but I lose my whirlpool timer.

The problem with both of these options is that I can't impart color into the beer. Obviously hibiscus petals give a pink to reddish hue. I suppose that it isn't a big deal that the SRM in Beersmith isn't representative of what the final product will be, but what just inquiring what others do?

Probably as a Misc item as it does not add much body.  Not sure how to handle the color.

I've got the same problem. I do a big Hibiscus (its freakin' red!). I don't know how to get it to match the color, so I just don't worry about it. But it would be great if Brad would add color options within the misc category.

Now, how to analyze the Hibiscus SRM, that's a whole other question.

Incidentally, how much do you use? I used 24oz in 10 gallons at whirlpool (30 minutes), and as I said, it's freakin' red, red, red. It also gives a strong tart flavor at that rate.

Any idea at what rate it changes from red down to pink? I want to reduce my rate, but not to the point where it becomes pink instead of red. My goal is to reduce the tartness a little but retain the red color.

ipabrewer said:
Incidentally, how much do you use? I used 24oz in 10 gallons at whirlpool (30 minutes), and as I said, it's freakin' red, red, red. It also gives a strong tart flavor at that rate.

Any idea at what rate it changes from red down to pink? I want to reduce my rate, but not to the point where it becomes pink instead of red. My goal is to reduce the tartness a little but retain the red color.

24 oz!!!!!!!! That's a ton!!!! Doesn't that taste more like a tea? Well you said big, so I assume you have a lot of other components to balance it out.

I brew 5.5 gallons so for my hibiscus ale with just Pale, Wheat and Carapils, I use 3 oz and it's pretty red, given the grain bill. The yeast strips the color a bit but even at that amount, I'm pretty red. You definitely taste the hibiscus. My IBUs on that are around 19. I pop them in at flame out and steep for 30 minutes in addition to my cool down.

I just made a hibiscus gose, but cut the hibiscus in half just to see what I get from the lactobacillus. I also didn't steep before I cooled down. Again, I added them at flameout and immediately went to chill. Red still came through. We'll see what happens after the yeast cleans up. I imagine it'll be more watermelon color or pink.

This is 3 ounces (in 5 gallons of beer) of hibiscus dry hopped for 5 days in the secondary.  Red, red, red with a pink head!  It is also quite tart too.

Looks delish! Nice work. Mine looks similar but my head is white. Would that come from our different uses? Like I said, I whirlpool mine.

I have only put hibiscus in the secondary.  However, a friend of mine put it in the secondary, and his head didn't turn out pink.  So I'm a loss to explain it.

Back