• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Est Final Gravity

mcfly6667

Apprentice
Reaction score
Kind of new to BS2 but I really like playing around with a recipe and seeing the settings change in the Style Guidelines section.
I'm a little confused however by part of it that doesn't make sense.  The est FG  to the right of the colored slider bars.
In my example the 1.017 is way to high for this simple Brown Ale recipe I am setting up.  Thus it throws off what it expects to be my ABV
If I go into the "fermentation" tab for this recipe that 1.017 is still there and greyed out.
I cant seem to find where to go to adjust this down a bit.  Is it my equipment profile that is making this est FG so high ?
Or another way to ask, where does BS2 get this "estimated FG" number from?

BeerSmith calculates the FG based upon the extraction value of the grains/extract/sugars in the recipe, the efficiency of the system, the mashing temperature which dictates the amount of maltose which is produced in mashing versus higher chain dextrins which are mostly unfermentable, and the attenuation of the yeast strain which is being used. 

If you are looking to adjust the finishing gravity of a given recipe, you can lower the mash temperature to lower the FG or raise it to increase the FG.  If you are making an extract recipe, substitute some simple sugars (table sugar or corn sugar) for some of the extract.  These simple sugars will ferment out completely as compared to the extract.

Another thing to look at is the strain of yeast you are using.  Some strains do better at fermenting all the sugars which are available.  These strains usually are talked about as being 'drier' in their flavor descriptions.  Most yeast companies list the apparent attenuation for their yeast strains.

mcfly6667 said:
Or another way to ask, where does BS2 get this "estimated FG" number from?

BeerSmith calculates FG from the Max Attenuation field of the yeast you choose. You can access this by double clicking the yeast in recipe design, or through the Starter tab. If a recipe has no yeast, it'll default to around 72% attenuation.

For worts made at lower temperatures, the increased attenuation slope is adjusted in Options > Advanced.

I had (or maybe I have yet) a similar doubt about a checkbox in this tab. I posted this in http://beersmith.com/forum/index.php?topic=21936.0

Back