• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Double IPA yeast

hoperator

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello Brewers. I'm newer to home brewing and have several DIPA's on the go. A recurring problem seems to be a slow/stuck fermentation. My temps and ph during mash are, by my measurement, extremely close to my targets. I ferment at 19C (66.2F) and have been using a dried yeast (US-05) rehydrated with room temp. water for a couple of hours. fermentation always starts well but seems to stall at 1.035-1.04 SG. I'm not hitting the panic button yet but i'm getting mildly frustrated with hitting all my targets except FG. Is there a better yeast i should be using or a better pitching method i should be looking at?

Oh wow. Hundreds of hours of research and i never bothered to research refractometer use. http://www.northernbrewer.com/learn/resources/refractometer-calculator/
Plugged my numbers into this calculator and turns out i am hitting my FG's
Apologies for starting a useless thread.

Beer Smith has a refratometer tool to adjust for that.

Refractometer is best for unfermented wort.

I rely on the hydrometer for more accurate readings after fermentation has started.

Back