Author Topic: Attenuation vs mash temperature  (Read 6663 times)

beerer

Attenuation vs mash temperature
« on: April 14, 2008, 04:02:31 PM »
Hi, and thanks for a great program!

I was wondering if it is possible to implement a feature where the program adjusts the attenuation of the yeast as a function of step temperature.

This way the FG would be estimated more accurately.

It would maybe be difficult to do for all yeasts; I don't know if the yeast makers supply such data?

regards,
beerer

Offline bonjour

• Global Moderator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
    • Beer du Jour
Re: Attenuation vs mash temperature
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 06:41:41 PM »
There are way too many factors to accurately calculate FG.  For one, those that provide attenuation numbers for yeast provide a range, not a single number, your grist ratio, how long your mash is, the temp of your mash, do you use a mash-out, how long it takes you to get your boil kettle temp up (if you are not mashing out), etc.

That said I do a lot in my brewing toward predicting FG.  I start with my history with the target yeast on my system.  this is important because I am consistant with how I brew.  From this info I plot a graph and find what attenuation i get at a specific temp with a specific yeast.

I then define a new yeast of the type i am using and call it US05148 where 148 is my mash profile and assign my predicted FG to the new yeast.

Fred

beerer

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 05:32:23 AM »
OK, I see. I'll experiment more with mash temperatures and make a formula for my attenuation.
Just have to be disciplined and not change the other variables too much..

A bit of work, but I think predicting and hitting FG is one of the keys to making great beers!

beerer

Offline bonjour

• Global Moderator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
    • Beer du Jour
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 09:38:39 AM »
Literature published by Noonan, Fix, and Palmer suggest 4-5% every 3F change.  My personal numbers show up to 10% every 3F depending on yeast selection.

Fred