• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Setting up losses correctly for water levels

mspoon

Apprentice
Reaction score
So I've got my equipment profile fairly well set up but I tried to adjust some keggle losses and ended up with a terribly low OG.

I BIAB and my first 5 gal brew based on BeerSmith and had a loss to trub and chiller of 0.5 gal.  My keggle has the ball valve a little higher up and I figured my loss to be closer to 2 gal.  I adjusted the trub/chiller losses to 2.00 gal and on the direction of BS, my increased water levels ended up leaving me with an OG of 1.030 rather than 1.056.

Because I'm doing BIAB, do I count that 2 gallon loss left over in the keggle after the boil as Mash Tun losses to keep my grain/water ratio correct because it was obviously off when adjusting it for losses in trub/chiller section.

See my answer to your other post on this subject.  It will get difficult for anyone to follow if you make multiple posts about the same subject.

Back