• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Volumes and units

johngw9

Apprentice
Reaction score
A couple questions: the brew steps sheet gives me the mash water volume in quarts but sparge water needs and all other volumes are in gallons, can all be set to one or the other? I've looked at volume options but don't see anyway to make the change, I'd prefer gallons on everything.

Also, on a batch brewed just yesterday I followed the stated volumes as closely as possible rounding to the nearest easily measurable point. I ended up with about 1.5 gallons of liquid still in the mash tun when the boil volume was reached in the kettle. I make the assumption my equipment profile has something set wrong. The brew steps gives a pre-boil volume higher than the boiler capacity. Any suggestions on what I should be looking at in the profile, or does anyone have parameters dialed in for a Brew Magic system? Thanks for the help.

Yes,
  Go to Options->Units and set the mash units to "gallons".

Regarding the equipment setup - yes if you are way off in your volumes then you probably need to take a look at your equipment profile.  Possibly you have a large mash addition field or lauter tun loss set?

Brad

Back