• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Nutrient additions

mr_beer

Grandmaster Brewer
Master Brewer
Reaction score
Recently I decided to make a mead -- sort of like wine in technique but the main ingredient is honey.

Because honey is deficient in some nutrients the mead crowd uses a technique called Staggered Nutrient Additions (SNA).  It involves adding Fermaid-K (a branded product) and Diammonium Phosphate (DAP).

Then as I was reading I started to see some discussion of using Fermaid-K for beers with high levels of non-malt adjuncts. 

What is the current thinking of these types of nutrient additions?

I toss a teaspoon of Fermaid-K into the boil along with the Whirlfloc with 10 - 15 minutes remaining.(6 gallon batch size)  Also use 1/8 tsp. in starters. Nothing to show if it helps an/or how much it helps, but it's too cheap not to use IMO.  I also use Fermaid-K combined with DAP in my ciders. Haven't made a bunch of cider, but fermentations have been fast and complete.

Back