• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

CO2 Regulator

KJlive

Apprentice
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Picobrew. (I don't have much time to home brew anymore). I am starting to use a Cornelius keg for my brews and I have a kegerator with two taps. I plan to use one side for my commercial keg and the other keg for home brew. I am considering trying forced carbonation. I wanted to test the capability of my regulator. I currently have a home brew (naturally carbonated), and a commercial keg on tap. When I tried to increase the CO2 with both kegs connected, at 10 PSI, the adjusting screw becomes tight and I cant increase the PSI. If I decide to force carbonate my next brew, I will need to turn off the commercial keg and carbonate the home brew for approximately 2 days at 20 to 30 PSI. My question......since I cant increase the PSI over 10 with the kegs hooked up, is my regulator broke or is this common when kegs are hooked to the CO2 

Most "screw" type regulators have a small nut around the screw to prevent you from adjusting too far.  If you back it off a bit you should be able to reach much higher pressures.

Brad

I actually loosened that nut and when I turned the screw, it gets very tight with a lot of threads still exposed. I didn't know if there was a limit to how much pressure I can force into a commercial keg while hooked up to the kegerator. I thought it may be a safety feature? Unless the regulator needs rebuilt.

Back