• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BIAB batch sparge grain absorption

Javaslinger

Brewer
Reaction score
Curious what people set their grain absorption to when doing BIAB with a batch sparge?

BIAB Default 0.586 fl oz/oz
Mash Tun Default 0.960 fl oz/oz

So if using a mash profile such as Single Infusion, Batch Sparge while doing BIAB, should I set it to 0.586 or somewhere in the middle.  I know I can back calculate from a brew day, but I'm trying to get a ball park to begin with from everyone else.

Thanks!

I measure my grain absorption for every batch (along with boil off rate) and track it.  I've set my grain absorption to my BIAB value in the standard options, since I do mostly BIAB brewing. 

I see the default is .586 Oz/oz but when i measure mine it is around .27-.33 - this is far from the .586 - what are other people seeing?  Thanks

I do 5 gallon BIAB batches with grain weights of 11-13 lbs and I get very close to the default of 0.586. My volumes are so close I have seen no reason to change from the default. I do squeeze the heck out of my bag to get all the goodness out. If you don't squeeze I can see you getting higher absorption, but it is hard for me to see someone getting half.

I suddenly had a thought that the grain absorption may be affected by the grain crush. I have a mill gap of 0.025", and I double crush. It might be that a coarser grain crush would result in lower water absorption if the water doesn't penetrate all the way through the larger pieces in the same proportion as smaller pieces.

--GF

Back