Author Topic: No activity after pitching yeast 24 hours ago  (Read 4427 times)

Offline Jim Endo

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
No activity after pitching yeast 24 hours ago
« on: October 11, 2017, 07:47:39 PM »
 I bought a one gallon beer kit that I intended to give as a Christmas present last year.  After closer inspection the kit was really intended for someone that had more equipment so it stayed on the shelf. After getting a wild hair yesterday I decided what the heck and brewed it up.  (Most everything had expired) My original gravity was spot on and I pitched the yeast at 68* Still over 24 hours later there is no activity.  (and about 2 inches of trub in the bottom of the one gallon fermenter).  It's still in the chiller at 65* would you add fresh yeast and hope for the best, or am I doomed? Cheers.....

Jim

Offline Ck27

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith's Unofficial Spam Police.... Do Not Spam
Re: No activity after pitching yeast 24 hours ago
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 08:28:04 PM »
I bought a one gallon beer kit that I intended to give as a Christmas present last year.  After closer inspection the kit was really intended for someone that had more equipment so it stayed on the shelf. After getting a wild hair yesterday I decided what the heck and brewed it up.  (Most everything had expired) My original gravity was spot on and I pitched the yeast at 68* Still over 24 hours later there is no activity.  (and about 2 inches of trub in the bottom of the one gallon fermenter).  It's still in the chiller at 65* would you add fresh yeast and hope for the best, or am I doomed? Cheers.....

Jim

Add fresh yeast

Offline Jim Endo

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 09:44:21 PM »
Thanks for the reply, do you think I have another 48 hours? I had to Amazon Prime some yeast.... I was going to try it anyway. Just checking to see if anyone else would chime in with a similar experience.... Thanks again.

Offline brewn

• I brew, therefore I am. Whatever that means.
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 10:28:54 PM »
I wouldn't say you are doomed. I was looking up the same info just yesterday and there were some posts here and on other forums that mentioned going as long as 72 hours. I was looking because I was getting no activity either. So I got another PKG of the same yeast and pitched again right around the 72 hour mark. The funny thing is, I use the Fast Fermenter and since it is translucent I couldn't tell until I opened the top that there has been some activity. But I had already cut the PKG open to minimize air exposure to the beer, so I pitched the yeast anyway. For home from work today and I could tell by the airlock there was some good stuff going on.
If no activity when you get your yeast I think you'd be ok to pitch it.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 10:30:50 PM by brewn »

Offline GigaFemto

• Muonic Matter Rocks!
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 10:39:32 PM »
It depends on the yeast. If it was dry yeast the package will last a long time if kept under even moderately cool conditions. If the yeast had low viability it would take them a long time to grow their little army enough for you to see the results, and longer at 65 F than 68 F or warmer. I wouldn't give up on them yet. If there was no sign of activity after 3 or 4 days, then I would give up on them and send in reinforcements.

--GF

Offline Jim Endo

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 07:33:45 AM »
well this morning I went and took a peek. This looks like something is going south.[ Is this what an infection looks like? Thanks for your help.

Offline Ck27

• BeerSmith's Unofficial Spam Police.... Do Not Spam
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 08:14:34 AM »
well this morning I went and took a peek. This looks like something is going south.[ Is this what an infection looks like? Thanks for your help.

That does look dicey

Offline Jim Endo

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 10:06:42 AM »
Well I've never had anything like that happen before. Everything was new equipment wise ( I cleaned and sanitized prior to using ) wonder if it's time to dump it and try over with fresh ingredients?

Offline BOB357

• Beer is my bucket list!
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 10:10:54 AM »
Looks like break material. I should settle out with the yeast when active fermentation is done.
Bob

Offline brewn

• I brew, therefore I am. Whatever that means.
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 10:17:03 AM »
On a positive note, it's pretty clear. ;D

Offline Jim Endo

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 10:19:17 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to reply.... Seeing that made me pretty nervous. I usually see yeast actively moving through the liquid. I guess I'll stay the course. I have made a temperature adjustment to 67*.  I'll keep posting for those that are interested.

Jim

Offline Jim Endo

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 11:59:13 AM »
So here is the updated picture for day 3.... Looking a little better. What do you think?

Offline BOB357

• Beer is my bucket list!
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2017, 12:52:54 PM »
I still say you're probably OK. Give it a couple of weeks and if it smells and tastes good at bottling time it's a winner.
Bob