Author Topic: How Much Fresh Root Ginger in a brew?  (Read 2016 times)

Offline crluff

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
    • Newtown Brewery
How Much Fresh Root Ginger in a brew?
« on: October 14, 2017, 04:38:47 AM »
Hi,

I'm wanting to brew a Porter with a hint of ginger flavour/warmth in it.  I've never used fresh root ginger in a beer before and wondered if I could pick up any tips from the fine people in this Forum.  I'll be brewing 18 gallons (Imperial) and would just like to know how much to use.  Presumably the grated ginger goes into the last 10/15 minutes of the boil?

Thanks 

Offline jomebrew

• Global Moderator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
    • Jomebrew
Re: How Much Fresh Root Ginger in a brew?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 09:31:07 AM »
I used 5 oz freshly grated ginger along with 5 oz chopped lemongrass in a 5.5G batch of IPA.  Delicious ginger flavor.

KellerBrauer

Re: How Much Fresh Root Ginger in a brew?
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 09:47:34 AM »
Greetings crluff - my experience with using fresh ginger is roughly 2 ounces, sliced into small disks, added 15 minutes remaining in the boil in a 5 gallon batch with the result being very faint.  Now that was in my first attempt at a Great Lakes Brewing Christmas Ale clone.  So this year I?m going to follow the same schedule I did last year.  However, im going to grate only 1 oz of ginger AND I?m going to add 1/2 oz to the secondary for about 5-7 days.

So if I understand, you will be brewing an imperial porter.  That?s a beer with a very powerful flavor.  I?m afraid if you follow the information I have outlined above, the ginger flavor might be lost completely so I recommend using the above information as a guide only.

Hope this information helps!

Good luck!