Author Topic: Anyone else having a lot of dud liquid Yeasts recently???  (Read 2492 times)

Offline Ck27

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith's Unofficial Spam Police.... Do Not Spam
Anyone else having a lot of dud liquid Yeasts recently???
« on: October 16, 2017, 04:00:15 PM »
Has anyone else been having a lot of duds from Wyeast??? My last 3 yeast packets were 3 days old from manufacturing and they all flopped 2 with a starter one without. I don't know what's wrong but it seems to be that they have awful quality control good thing that I always keep dry yeast or I would have lost several beers!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 06:26:24 PM by Ck27 »

Offline GigaFemto

• Muonic Matter Rocks!
Re: Anyone else having a lot of dud liquid Yeasts recently???
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 05:33:59 PM »
I had a bad pack of Wyeast 1335 last month, but I thought it was my fault. I ordered it online even though I don't usually do that, but it pushed my order over the threshold for free shipping. I am close to the MoreBeer warehouse, so I usually get orders in 1 day, or 2 at most. I ordered an ice pack, anyway. It turns out that they shipped from PA instead of CA, and it took 6 days to get here. The  yeast and ice pack were warm. I tried to make a starter, but it didn't grow. I went into the local MoreBeer store to get a replacement from their fridge. When I told the store manager my story he gave me the replacement for free, and I assured him that I had learned my lesson about buying yeast online. The next starter worked fine, and the beer turned out great.

Another lesson I learned is that making a starter well ahead of time is a good idea. That way you can be sure you have good yeast, and it gives you a chance to get a replacement if not.

I assumed that I had screwed up and that the yeast had gotten overheated in shipping. Maybe not...

--GF

Offline Ck27

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 06:18:38 PM »
I had a bad pack of Wyeast 1335 last month, but I thought it was my fault. I ordered it online even though I don't usually do that, but it pushed my order over the threshold for free shipping. I am close to the MoreBeer warehouse, so I usually get orders in 1 day, or 2 at most. I ordered an ice pack, anyway. It turns out that they shipped from PA instead of CA, and it took 6 days to get here. The  yeast and ice pack were warm. I tried to make a starter, but it didn't grow. I went into the local MoreBeer store to get a replacement from their fridge. When I told the store manager my story he gave me the replacement for free, and I assured him that I had learned my lesson about buying yeast online. The next starter worked fine, and the beer turned out great.

Another lesson I learned is that making a starter well ahead of time is a good idea. That way you can be sure you have good yeast, and it gives you a chance to get a replacement if not.

I assumed that I had screwed up and that the yeast had gotten overheated in shipping. Maybe not...
--GF

I only buy hard to get liquid yeast online as my store does not have them all, sadly. I also get some yeasts direct from Imperial Yeast and those are much hardier and shipped in a styrofoam box insulated and loaded with ice packs and they overnight it and its ice cold when it get them.

More beer is great ive never had a bad order from them except when they forgot some grains from a all grain kit I ordered I got them the next day :). I buy a lot of grains from them cause my shop has a pretty extensive grain bill but not everything so I still have to buy some stuff.

I also like to buy from Williams Brewing and Northern Brewer.

I get most of my orders from more beer in 2 days cause even though they are the same distance from me as Los Angeles they take 2 days where it takes 1 from Los Angeles for same distance, ive never understood why. Williams is basically same place and they take 1 day.....

Shipping is really weird.

:)

Offline Oginme

• Goats, guitars, and a home brew; Life is good!
    • Longvu LaManchas
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 06:34:22 PM »
I have never gotten a dud package of yeast from Wyeast and that is the only supplier I have used in the past 4 years.  I do buy yeast only locally and will not have yeast shipped. 

My yeast purchases have been way down, though.  I started plating yeast strains off of yeast cake saved from good fermentations and building up starters from there.  I did clean house this summer, and am now down to only about 6 yeast strains.  That is about how many new yeast packages I purchased over the past year:  used 11 different strains, 33 brew sessions, purchased 6 (3 new strains), dropped 8, kept 6.  Slowly working my way through English and Belgian strains looking for the ones that fit the best for my recipes.  It does mean that I need to be on the ball with my planning...
Recycle your grains, feed them to a goat!

Offline Ck27

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 07:13:17 PM »
I have never gotten a dud package of yeast from Wyeast and that is the only supplier I have used in the past 4 years.  I do buy yeast only locally and will not have yeast shipped. 

My yeast purchases have been way down, though.  I started plating yeast strains off of yeast cake saved from good fermentations and building up starters from there.  I did clean house this summer, and am now down to only about 6 yeast strains.  That is about how many new yeast packages I purchased over the past year:  used 11 different strains, 33 brew sessions, purchased 6 (3 new strains), dropped 8, kept 6.  Slowly working my way through English and Belgian strains looking for the ones that fit the best for my recipes.  It does mean that I need to be on the ball with my planning...

ive got a mutated Nottingham in my fridge in my garage thats been in it 6 days, im going to test it when I get the chance.