• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Carbonation profile - Brite tank

jrmontecarlo24

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I want to add my brite tank to the carbonation profile but from what I can tell it isnt going to be helpful.  Is this a correct assumption?  I want to add as much equipment information as possible.

I have a carbonation profile called "Brite Tank." I'm using Keg for the type of CO2. It turns out to be a pretty good model, with some interpretation.

If the tank temperature is accurate, BeerSmith accurately shows the head pressure target to get equilibrium without bleeding the top pressure. I go +1 psi from the target pressure. The time it takes to get to the head pressure will depend on CO2 stone size and porosity. In my case, I have head pressure in 12 to 16 hours and full lamination by 24 hours.

I worked at a brewpub with the typical brites as serving tanks setup. We went through enough beer that I had to speed up carbonation to be complete in 4 hours or less. This often meant sending in 24 psi and bleeding the top pressure to hold at 15 psi. The pressure difference being just about the head pressure target that BeerSmith recommended. Taps not flowing just wasn't an option in a tourist town.

Oh, I should add two more details:

If the whetting pressure of your CO2 stone is much more than 2 psi, you will want to add that to the CO2 input pressure.

If there is appreciable column pressure from tank height, this has to be accounted for, as well. In most cases under 40 bbls, it isn't.

Back