• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Converting Recipe from All Grain to Extract won't work

MYLish

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I borrowed a recipe from a friend to make a Wit Beir and entered it into BeerSmith.  The resulting recipe hit all the numbers he gave me for OG, IBU & SRM.  So I thought cool, all I have to do is hit the convert button, select my equipment and hit OK.  Well it told me I needed 59 lbs of Carafoam and 110 lbs of Rice Hulls along with the rest of the original ingredients minus the other grains.  WTH?  I tried it several times and it just won't work.

Well....  ;D Sometimes head retention is hard!  ;D

Seriously, though, the first thing you want to do is convert it extract. The extracts have to be listed as alternatives to the grains, for that to work. In each grain, at the bottom of the profile (Ingredients > double click on a grain) there is a field for which extract you want to use to replace it with. The name needs to match what's in the grain database.

It's a tedious process to set up, but if you convert a lot of recipes, it will be helpful for the large amounts of grain.

The other method is to just remember that 10# of pale grain roughly equals 6# pale dry extract or 7# of pale liquid extract. You can make minor adjustments to be perfectly accurate, if you wish.

For 5 gallons:
10# Pale malt = 1.054
6# DME = 1.052
7# LME = 1.056

I'd keep all of the character grains the same, but add 50% more weight if just steeping.

Back