• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Anhydrous calcium chloride option

adamkse

New Forum Member
Reaction score
HI,

Been using Beersmith for a long time now (its great). And have just moved on to V3. The water additions and calculator is now much better so I am keen to use it. However the calcium chloride addition is dihydrate. I am using anhydrous so would be great if there were 2 choices. Is this possible?

It is certainly possible.  Practical? not so much.  Brad can program in every possible variation of salt additions, and many other salts which have been suggested in the past few months, but it ends up really benefiting a very small amount of users.  I don't see any other water adjustments spreadsheets offering that option and for a very good reason.

The vast majority of food grade Calcium chloride sold for use is in dihydrate form. Unless you are in a very well controlled environment when using anhydrous Calcium chloride and severely limit exposure of the contents, I'm willing to bet yours is no longer anhydrous. 

Back