• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BeerSmith3 question regarding mead.

mr_beer

Grandmaster Brewer
Master Brewer
Reaction score
I am making a Test mead recipe in Beersmith to compare with my real-world spreadsheet methods. 

BeerSmith3 is a very impressive set of tools but along the way I have some questions and observations -- they may be useful.

On the Session tab there is a place to record the actual gravity during the fermentation but I seem unable to record data.  Am I missing something here?

Found the "Add Reading" icon at the lower left.  Not obvious to this casual observer but I have no recommendation on how to change it.

On the brew steps sheet the date bottled is about 45 days in the future but the fermentation profile indicates a 68 day window until bottling.  I must be missing something here.

If the intention is a still beverage then the time for the addition of  Kieselsol & Chitoszn and metabisulphite should be indicated on the brew schedule somehow.  The additions of the ingredients are possible but there seems no way to include them on the brew schedule.  Is there a way to include this in the recipe as a step and reminder?

There is no reminder to stir/aerate the must during the primary fermentation process.  It might be helpful as a reminder. 

mr_beer said:
On the brew steps sheet the date bottled is about 45 days in the future but the fermentation profile indicates a 68 day window until bottling.  I must be missing something here.

Without seeing your fermentation profile, the "age for" stage is post bottling in BeerSmith.

If the intention is a still beverage then the time for the addition of  Kieselsol & Chitoszn and metabisulphite should be indicated on the brew schedule somehow.  The additions of the ingredients are possible but there seems no way to include them on the brew schedule.  Is there a way to include this in the recipe as a step and reminder?

As a misc ingredient, they have the option of being a "bottling" ingredient.

There is no reminder to stir/aerate the must during the primary fermentation process.  It might be helpful as a reminder.

Add a custom ingredient with that direction and any other items you want to remind yourself of. Add it to the stage where the instruction is relevant.

I have instructions like "take gravity reading" at various stages in my process. Not because I'll forget, but because it gives me a place to record the result and the satisfaction of checking something off a list. I even have an instruction of "liftgate and pallet jack required" for my shopping list, so I always remind my vendors.

Thank you for the answer.

Fermentation profile was the key -- did not remember it was available and the associated settings.
Setting the ingredient to a bottling ingredient was the answer -- again I did not know of that option.

Did not think of a custom ingredient -- very cleaver. 

Back