Author Topic: Can only open Beersmith, but not do anything in it  (Read 10621 times)

HB79

Can only open Beersmith, but not do anything in it
« on: November 17, 2008, 03:01:20 PM »
G'day, I am having a prob where I can only open Beersmith but can't actually get into recipes or perform any actions. Every time I try do open anything in the programme I get an error message from windows saying that it has encountered a problem and needs to close Beersmith. I haven't changed any settings on the programme or on my computer, so I have no idea what's goin on. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers, HB79

Offline BeerSmith

• Brewer, Author, Patriot
  • BeerSmith Administrator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith - take the guesswork out of brewing!
    • BeerSmith
Re: Can only open Beersmith, but not do anything in it
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 11:23:50 PM »
Hi,
  Try the following patch:

http://beersmith.com/beersmith_patch.zip

Its only the executable, so you need to unzip the file and put it in your directory.  As I mentioned this is a temp patch.  I'm planning to do some more work on it before making it a formal release.

Thanks,

Brad
Get a free trial of BeerSmith 3 here

HB79

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 11:29:26 PM »
G'day Brad, I have tried the patch and it does not seem to be working (or i'm doing something wrong), I have unzipped the file and coppied it to the beersmith file and entered in my rego code again. Is there anything else that could solve the problem?

Offline BeerSmith

• BeerSmith
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 07:24:42 AM »
Hi,
 The other thing to try is deleting the "newopts14.ini" file from your BeerSmith directory.  Note that if you are running on Vista you may also have to delete the file from the "compatability" directory which shows up when you open your BeerSmith directory under Windows file explorer.

Cheers,
Brad

HB79

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 11:40:27 PM »
Hi Brad,

Nope didn't work, what next :(

Offline BeerSmith

• BeerSmith
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 07:18:21 AM »
Well,
  The last thing to try (which usually works) is to make a backup copy of your entire BeerSmith directory (plus the compatability directory if you are working under Vista) and then delete the original BeerSmith directory and reinstall.

Be sure that you have copies of all the *.BSM files saved off so you can open and import any information you need (including the Vista compatability copies if appropriate).

Also - delete the entire original BeerSmith directory to make sure everything is cleaned out.

It might be useful if you could send me your recipes.bsm file and *.ini files to run under the debugger.

Thanks
Brad

Grinder12000

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 10:44:02 AM »
same problem here - I'll try the above

HB79

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 02:51:07 PM »
Hi, the first thing I tried was delete the whole programe off my computer and then reinstall, no luck with that.

Offline BeerSmith

• BeerSmith
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 05:20:54 PM »
HB79,
  Can you verify that you backed up/deleted the correct directory (usually its C:\Program Files\BeerSmith)?

Also make sure your BeerSmith icon points to the correct version.  In several cases as you describe someone had more than one copy installed or was running the copy from a different location than they originally thought they were.

Cheers,
Brad

HB79

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 02:35:25 PM »
Hi Brad, yes the programe is in C:\Program Files\BeerSmith and I only have one copy installed, as for the icon? I'm not sure I know what you'r talking about, I just deleted Beersmith again and reinstalled and now I have lost all my recipes, but at the moment I'm more concerned about fixing this problem, Cheers

HB79

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 08:25:03 PM »
Hi Brad, I am now able to open and use Beersmith through the patch file, but I am constantly getting an error pop up everytime I click on any action, saying that the path could not be found, I click "ok" then it lets me go to the recipe or page I'm trying to get to. I can formulate a whole recipe without this error coming up but as soon as I try to print the page or preview the brewsheet I get the error and it wont let me print it. Any Ideas?

Offline BeerSmith

• BeerSmith
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 09:09:20 PM »
HB,
  In most cases this is a problem with not having used the setup program to install the program.  You should have a "templates" directory under the main BeerSmith directory that contains the templates used for print preview and printing.  If the program can't read this directory you will get an error of the type you describe.  Check to make sure you have the templates directory under your BeerSmith directory and that it is readable by the user you are running under.

Also it might help if you could tell me which path is unreadable.

Thanks,
Brad

HB79

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 12:17:33 AM »
Hey Brad,

It's the "templates" path that can't be found, I have tried a search on my computer and found the template files but if I try to import them to the patch I get "Not a valid beerXML file - import cancelled". I also can't keep the "misc" file imported, I do the import and it appears but if I go ,say, to "yeast" then back to "misc" it's gone.

Offline BeerSmith

• BeerSmith
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2008, 07:23:32 AM »
HB,
  The template files need to be in a "templates" directory under the main BeerSmith directory where you have your executable.  They are used directly by the program to generate previews and prints.  You don't import them.

Ideally you should have installed BeerSmith using the normal route, and then dropped the patched executable into your BeerSmith directory to replace the existing executable.  This will maintain your settings, templates, help files, etc.

Cheers,
Brad

HB79

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2008, 04:00:37 PM »
Ok, I'm obviously doing something wrong, can you tell me where and what exaclty are the directory's and executable's. I don't think I've done any of this right. Sorry for being a PITA but I am quite useless when it come to computers.