Author Topic: Can only open Beersmith, but not do anything in it  (Read 10641 times)

Offline BeerSmith

• Brewer, Author, Patriot
  • BeerSmith Administrator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith - take the guesswork out of brewing!
    • BeerSmith
Re: Can only open Beersmith, but not do anything in it
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2008, 02:29:41 AM »
No problem,
  If you do a normal download and install of BeerSmith it will be installed in C:\Program Files\BeerSmith by default.

If you want to use the patch (which is only the executable), you can drop it into that directory to overwrite the existing copy of beersmith.exe

That's about it...

Brad
Get a free trial of BeerSmith 3 here

HB79

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2008, 11:50:16 PM »
Ok, so what I've done is re-installed Beersmith and it is in the default path, extracted the files from the patch and coppied it to the same path (C:\Program Files\BeerSmith), thus overwriting the original, I am getting the same error that I started with when trying to use the programe, please tell me I've done it right this time and It's not me

Offline BeerSmith

• BeerSmith
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2008, 09:37:22 AM »
HB,
  If you copied the patched executable over the existing one (note you might need to be an administrator under Vista to make this stick) it should have fixed your problem.

Other than that, you can try a clean install (make a backup copy of all your BSM files, then delete the BeerSmith directory and do it all again.  Its possible you have a bad options file (see threads above) that is still corrupt that might be creating the problem.

Also, if that does not work could you email me your recipes.bsm, newopts14.opts and options.bsm file?  I would like to take a look as likely one of those is causing the problem.

Thanks,
Brad

HB79

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2008, 02:53:52 PM »
Hi Brad, I have just deleted Beersmith off my computer again then re-installed again, and now seems to be working fine, I didn't even need to use the patch. Seems wierd to me that that didn't work the first 2 times but has now, anyway at least we got it going again, cheers for all the help and being patient with some one who has no idea about computers.

Offline BeerSmith

• BeerSmith
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2008, 07:10:38 PM »
HB,
  No problems - it is likely one of the files was corrupted before you applied the patch.  You might still want to use the patch to prevent corruption.  I will likely post the patch soon as the next official release.

Thanks,
Brad

modification