• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BeerSmith 2 PC Estimated IBU Number vs. iPad Mobile App Estimated IBU

vintage63

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have a new American Pale Ale recipe in BeerSmith 2 on my PC cloud.  I looked it up on the mobile app on the iPad and noticed that the estimated IBUs are different.  I double-checked the AA% and quantity of each hop addition on the PC vs. the iPad and both match up on quantity and AA%.  But, the PC estimates 47.8 IBU and the iPad shows an estimation of 42.3 IBU.  I closed out of both and re-opened in case they needed to "reset", but still the same.

Does anyone out there have an explanation and advice on which version to focus on?  Thank you.

Erik

First check to make sure the equipment profiles line up for losses and that there are no other changes in the volumes through the process on both devices.  Next, I would check your settings to make sure that you have the same hop utilization factor and are using the same IBU model on the two different BeerSmith versions.

As for which one is 'right', that is a matter of testing.  My money is on neither.  See my comments on the IBU models on this thread: http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,20566.msg73302.html#msg73302

bs2 uses a different ibu model than bs3, and bsm uses the bs3 model if i'm not mistaken. 5 IBU's at 40+ is unlikely to be discernible anyways.

Actually, the models are the same in terms of the calculation of IBU.  What is different in BS3 is that the extrapolation of the models into whirlpool utilization has been modified from the extrapolation done in BS2.  I am still guessing if the recipe is the same one transferred through the cloud that the full version and the mobile version are set up to use different models (i.e. Tinseth vs Rager).

Back