Author Topic: Another Copy Running Error  (Read 4625 times)

Offline jomebrew

• Global Moderator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
    • Jomebrew
Re: Another Copy Running Error
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2019, 02:59:20 PM »
I have been able to reproduce this only in one scenario (using Windows 8.1 Pro).

1. Beersmith is running and I power off the machine (not a shutdown)

Work Around:
Navigate to your Documents folder where Beersmith data file are. e.g. "C:\Users\jomebrew\Documents\BeerSmith3"
Delete the lock file InUse.lck
Start Beersmith

It is possible Beersmith has not finished shutting down when you power off the machine even though you closed Beersmith. The last step when Beersmith shuts down is to remove a lock file indicating Beersmith is running. This lock file keeps you from running two instances at the same time on the same PC.
** I could not make this happen but it is possible on slower machines

On a  slow system, a power user might open task manager and wait for Beersmith to disappear from the task list before shutting down or measure the time from when they close Beersmith, the task goes away and wait a bit longer than that before shutting down the PC.

Another potential issue could be Antivirus holding the lock file preventing Beersmith from deleting it when Beersmith closes. I have Symantec AV and it does not do that. A power user might want to exclude the Beersmith data folder from the antivirus software.

You can also open Windows Explorer and navigate to the Beersmith data folder when Beersmith is running.  Close beersmith and wait for the file do be deleted. Then, shutdown. If the file is not removed, something is blocking Beersmith from deleting the file.

Good luck

Offline rustypic

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 3 Fails
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2019, 01:40:00 AM »
Hey jomebrew,
This has got me dumbfounded, I planned on copying all my recipes etc to BS2 which I did after many failed attempts and bull---t, with the idea of doing a complete uninstall of BS3 and then reinstalling. Anyway after all the mucking around BS3 has decided to work again without me uninstalling it, I have done a small amount of testing but when I get time I will give it a better workout. The only thing I can come up with, I think my PC did another upgrade in between times.

Cheers   ???

Offline rustypic

• BeerSmith 3 Fails
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2019, 08:12:47 PM »
Thanks J,
I will refer to this if it starts to play up again  :)

Cheers

Offline Rod Murray

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2020, 09:44:30 AM »
Have had this issue occur twice in the last week - lost one year of recipes each time.  Not sure why it doesn't default to the last saved instance but whatever.  The InUse.lck file is not in the folder listed - or any folder for that matter anywhere on my computer and yes, I do have beersmith running while I am looking for it....  Is there another alternative?

Offline dparsley63

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2020, 02:48:19 PM »
Look for the Lock file in your local directory.  Mine has a *.lck name.  Delete that file and you'll be golden.  I have that problem every so often on my Linux system.  It will be in a hidden directory so you'll have to make the directory show all files, including hidden ones.  ".beersmith" will probably be where the lock file is hiding.

Offline dparsley63

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2020, 02:52:01 PM »
I just had it happen again due to BS3 crashing when trying to print out a recipe.  The file you are looking for is: InUse.lck

Offline BOB357

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Beer is my bucket list!
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2020, 09:50:46 PM »
Hmm
Duh, well it is unusable if it has this error which I have got. Oh, and I have been using it since it came out and used 2 beforehand. You have had plenty to say about this problem here and on other posts but you are yet to give us a fix Grand Master !!

You're being quite the a**hole to someone who is trying to help. Oginme devotes more time than anyone else on this forum, with no compensation, attempting to lead users to solutions. If you are such a weenie that you can't handle a valid work around until a problem can be resolved, perhaps you should write your own software and take the abuse that you get for your efforts. I'm at a point that I really don't care if I'm banished from this site for being honest. Many, myself included, have dealt with this problem successfully. If you can't understand the difficulty of dealing with multiple operating systems that are randomly updated, you really need to learn some basic math and go solo.
Bob

modification