• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash Tun Equipment Profile - BIAB

Cabin

Brewer
Reaction score
Hello
I find BS to be right on when it comes to water vols.

I would like to keep about 0.5 gal. of wort behind in the MT cause it contains trub

How do I change the equipment profile to reflect this?

tx
Cabin

I am assuming that you are doing a mash in a bag with your cooler (or similar) mash tun.  In this case, you want to add your 0.5 gal to your mash tun dead space.  This will account for the half gallon you leave behind.  I am guessing that you will perform your mash and then drain just the amount you need to meet your pre-boil volume into your kettle.

If you are doing a more traditional BIAB, i.e. mashing and boiling in the same vessel, then you want to add your half gallon to the trub loss at the end of the process.

Yes to this:

If you are doing a more traditional BIAB, i.e. mashing and boiling in the same vessel, then you want to add your half gallon to the trub loss at the end of the process.

So add 0.50 gal to this?
Loss to True and Chiller?

tx
Cabin

Correct.  The volume you want to leave behind is carried over into the boil, since you are using the same vessel, so the losses are at the end of the process or in the trub and chiller loss.

This is pretty much how I design my process.  I end up with 11 liters at the end of the boil and transfer 10 liters to the fermenter, leaving 1 liter behind in the kettle.

Back