Author Topic: BeerSmith 3.1 Open Beta Download Available  (Read 15482 times)

Offline BeerSmith

• Brewer, Author, Patriot
  • BeerSmith Administrator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith - take the guesswork out of brewing!
    • BeerSmith
Re: BeerSmith 3.1 Open Beta Download Available
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2020, 11:52:23 AM »
Update - I posted a new build 3.1.4 today with several fixes.

Changes:
   - Corrected some issues with high res screens not displaying tabs and titles properly
   - Added several strings to the Res.xml file to support translation of mash timer steps - previously these were hardcoded
   - Fixed an issue with exporting CSV files when numeric format was set to use commas as decimal delimiter
   - Fixed a problem with BeerXML export of Color in SRM when default units set to EBC in program

Brad
Get a free trial of BeerSmith 3 here

Offline beerprof

• BeerSmith Brewer
  • Chemistry not just my job, it's a way of life...
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2020, 10:15:01 AM »
Hey Brad,

So far so good with one exception... cursor position doesn't seem to show in any editable fields. Also, if tabbing to the next field, it would be good to highlight the field so that my typing replaces what's there.

Using Beta 3.1.4 on Mac OSX Catalina 10.15.5

Offline BeerSmith

• BeerSmith
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2020, 10:27:44 AM »
That is odd - I just tried it here on my Catalina machine and it does properly show the cursor in all text fields. 
I'm also running 10.15.5 on my OSX and just updated it yesterday.

Brad

Offline BeerSmith

• BeerSmith
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2020, 12:07:17 PM »
Posted a very minor update 3.1.5 today which had one final fix for BeerXML grain color export if your native units are EBC.

Brad

Offline beerprof

• BeerSmith Brewer
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2020, 12:40:52 PM »
That is odd - I just tried it here on my Catalina machine and it does properly show the cursor in all text fields. 

Brad
Very odd. I've just updated to 3.1.5 hoping maybe it would be fixed. No dice. Is there any other info I can give you to help pin this down?

Offline GigaFemto

• Muonic Matter Rocks!
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2020, 03:42:38 PM »
I am using 3.1.04 and can't find how to set the default recipe. I have searched the ribbon and menus over and over and can't find it. Where is it?
--GF

Offline Oginme

• Goats, guitars, and a home brew; Life is good!
    • Longvu LaManchas
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2020, 05:05:53 PM »
I see it on the toolbar ribbon.  Highlighted in screen shot.  The icon is the same when you have small icons for the toolbar.
Recycle your grains, feed them to a goat!

Offline beerprof

• BeerSmith Brewer
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2020, 06:41:04 AM »

Brad
Brad, I've discovered the culprit.

DARK MODE

I generally am in dark mode all the time (what can I say? I like it)... wondered just now if maybe that was causing me grief... as soon as I switched back to light mode, the cursor became visible.

Hope that helps,
Jeff

Offline BeerSmith

• BeerSmith
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2020, 06:46:58 AM »
Jeff,
  Yes I was thinking about this over the weekend and realized that is probably the problem.  BeerSmith forces the background light to match the color scheme on many controls and that creates issues in dark mode.  I worked this for several days about a month back and had only limited success with dark mode due to limits in the cross platform tools I'm using.

Unfortunately I don't have a solution at the moment for a perfect dark mode implementation, as it conflicts with the custom styles available in BeerSmith - however I'll continue to work this for a future release.

Brad

Offline beerprof

• BeerSmith Brewer
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2020, 07:19:43 AM »
Brad,

No worries. I'm just glad I proved to myself I wasn't crazy! (well, at least in this instance). And it's not a deal-breaker. Great program, thanks for the work.

Jeff

Offline beerprof

• BeerSmith Brewer
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2020, 09:03:05 AM »
Brad,

No worries. I'm just glad I proved to myself I wasn't crazy! (well, at least in this instance). And it's not a deal-breaker. Great program, thanks for the work.

Jeff

I should also mention that if I have a recipe open in a "new window" when I move through the tabs, for example from Design to Notes, the window size changes. While not terrible, it is a little cumbersome.

Offline beerprof

• BeerSmith Brewer
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2020, 11:50:26 AM »
Brad,

Along with the tabs resizing the horizontal window size... I've noticed that if I set the overall window height, that setting does not hold. The only way I can reset is if I go to full screen then back. I've attached a pic below. Note this ONLY occurs if I've opened the recipe in a "New Window".

Jeff

« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 11:54:39 AM by beerprof »

Offline BeerSmith

• BeerSmith
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2020, 12:05:34 PM »
Thanks - I can see that the separate recipe window issue is also a problem on the Windows version, so yes it is an issue, and I'll put it on the bug list.  However when I open the old 3.0.8 version it also has similar issues with recipes in a separate window, so apparently the bug has been around for a while but no one caught it.  The old version was actually a bit more inconsistent with its resizing.

So I will work to fix this for the next update, but I'm probably not going to hold up the 3.1 release at this point since the problem has existed for some time with no one else reporting it.  I do appreciate you finding these issues though Jeff - keep them coming!

I did just start launching 3.1 on the download page as I think it is a significant improvement overall over 3.0 and so far we've had no killer issues arise from the beta testers who have been using it for months.

Brad

Offline agoldberg308

• BeerSmith New Brewer
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2020, 07:43:28 PM »
Is the issue with the previous release (last of 3.0) for printing under Windows 10 fixed with this release? If not, when will it actually be addressed since it's a rather significant usability flaw. If you cannot print out your recipe [properly] from within the app, it's an issue. I can't be the only one that prints out the recipe for use on brew day so that my [not cheap] electronics don't go anywhere near the wort. Or grain dust. Or large volumes of water either for brewing or running through the chiller.

Offline Oginme

• Goats, guitars, and a home brew; Life is good!
    • Longvu LaManchas
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2020, 06:15:30 AM »
Is the issue with the previous release (last of 3.0) for printing under Windows 10 fixed with this release? If not, when will it actually be addressed since it's a rather significant usability flaw. If you cannot print out your recipe [properly] from within the app, it's an issue. I can't be the only one that prints out the recipe for use on brew day so that my [not cheap] electronics don't go anywhere near the wort. Or grain dust. Or large volumes of water either for brewing or running through the chiller.

Which report are you printing out?  I use the recipe report and print it out without any issues.  It worked under the 3.0 releases and now it still works fine under the 3.1 releases.  I just tried printing to pdf to test this out as well and it looks fine as well.  Sample pdf attached.
Recycle your grains, feed them to a goat!

modification