Author Topic: Recommended IBUs for a heavy porter  (Read 1935 times)

Offline elgrindio

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Recommended IBUs for a heavy porter
« on: November 27, 2020, 12:55:59 PM »
Hey there everybody.

So, I?ve come up with a recipe that I believe should come out something like a heavy, somewhat sweet, porter. Recipe below. My main question is, what kind of IBUs and aroma hops would you recommend? What would be the low and high ranges? I?m thinking the lowest should be around 28 IBUs, and the highest maybe 55?? Please let me know which you would do, and why, and any comments on the grain bill would be welcomed too. Thanks!

Anthony

10 Gallon batch
Single infusion mash at 152?
Safale US-05 1.5 liter starter

Calculated OG 1.085 FG 1.020 Est. ABV 8.3%
25lb Pale Ale (82% of bill)
1lb Caramunich III (57 lov)
2lb Caraaroma (130 lov)
1.5lb Carafa I (340 lov)
1lb Roasted Barley (500 lov)
Total 30.5lb

Offline BOB357

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Beer is my bucket list!
Re: Recommended IBUs for a heavy porter
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2020, 09:57:17 PM »
As a reference, the average IBU/SG ratio for a Baltic Porter is about .43. That would be ~36 IBUs for your 1.085 OG. Hop aroma would depend on the style of porter you're looking for. Baltic would lean towards Saaz or other noble hop. American can use either American or English hops. English generally features English hops. Whatever suits your palate.

Bob

Offline Kevin58

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • God is great, beer is good and people are crazy
Re: Recommended IBUs for a heavy porter
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2020, 08:17:47 AM »
Looking at my recipe archives the highest OG Porter I have is 1.070 and the IBU for that one is 45.9. That one ended up with a moderate hop character somewhere between English and American styles. I prefer the English style where hops take a backseat and was pleased enough with this one to put it in my favorites folder. If I was going to make my Porter up to 1.085 I wouldn't hesitate to take this up to somewhere between 50 and 60 IBU.
If you?re stressing over homebrewing, you?re doing something wrong.
- Denny Conn