• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Pondering moving brewing operations outdoors - suggestions?

georgierodge

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I currently brew 5 gallon extract batches, and while brewing in the kitchen works, getting to a boil takes forever on the electric range as does chilling the wort with ice bags in the sink. I sense the entire process could be made faster and more efficient with a few upgrades - most notably a propane burner and a wort chiller of some kind, the first of which requires a move outdoors. My deck is just outside my kitchen, so that is the most logical place to go, but I would appreciate hearing from some of you who have made similar moves, what you learned, and what you might do differently if you were making the move all over again. Much appreciated.

I have brewed outdoors for more than 20 years. First on the front porch with a turkey fryer kit. The wind would be a factor on the propane burner but it was close to the house where I could get water conveniently. Then I moved to the garage which is about 40 feet from the house which solved the wind problem but created a water delivery problem. I solved that with a Flexzilla garden hose that is rated for potable water. Five years ago I sold all of my propane equipment and bought an electric system which is still in the garage.

I started indoors on a gas range doing small 2-gal batches.  I moved outside with a propane burner and up-scaled to 5-gal batches.  After a couple of those, I moved back indoors (partially to go back to small batches and partially because winter here in New England don't lend to standing outside for long periods of time) and moved to 10-liter batches.  I pretty much stuck to this size for the last 5 years before investing in an All-in-one electric, specifically the Anvil Foundry.  I can move this inside and out at will and as the temperatures permit and pretty much have the same process.

This has afforded me the ability to brew pretty much all year as my time permits.  I still have the propane equipment which is used at least once a year for batch dying of fiber by my wife. 

Personally, I like the versatility of the electric, the consistency in heat (and boil off rate), and the ease of a single vessel without having to spend time dragging out a lot of equipment.  I move between 120v and 240v depending upon the time of year and what I am brewing. 

I would recommend looking into an immersion chiller for cooling the wort.  The move outside for all brewing really depends upon your schedule and weather conditions throughout the year.  I have several friends who pack away the brewing equipment for the winter, but for me that is when I have the most time to brew.  So it really depends upon your situation and desires.

georgierodge said:
I currently brew 5 gallon extract batches, and while brewing in the kitchen works, getting to a boil takes forever on the electric range as does chilling the wort with ice bags in the sink. I sense the entire process could be made faster and more efficient with a few upgrades - most notably a propane burner and a wort chiller of some kind, the first of which requires a move outdoors. My deck is just outside my kitchen, so that is the most logical place to go, but I would appreciate hearing from some of you who have made similar moves, what you learned, and what you might do differently if you were making the move all over again. Much appreciated.

Welcome to the forum georgierodge. It is a good place to be as you begin any process advancing your beer technology.

I am a new brewer having begun only 15 years ago. I started on an electric kitchen stovetop and soon moved outside to brew 5 gallon all grain batches. Then moved from turkey fryer gravity feed system to a two propane burner single level stand with a pump. I might as well move to ten gallon batches and did so.

Soon fermentor chambers and temperature control entered my life. And, a 16 gallon conical. So I might as well brew 15 gallons at a time. I now have a dedicated standalone brewery somewhat heated for Wisconsin winters.

Now, my point.

Each of us above went through a learning curve and decisions to continue with this hobby. As you begin your journey my recommendation is you do the best job anticipating where you want to take your hobby. This, so you do not purchase equipment twice. Turkey fryers are nice but a longer term solution may be a quality burner and stand for $150.00 or so. You will probably gain some fuel efficiency to begin recovering your investment.

A big part of my hobby is building the equipment I needed eventually replacing it with quality later on. IE, you can build a stir plate easily for ten bucks. Spend the $125.00 for a professional one later on.

Plan, plan, anticipate and slowly build. read, read, and read some more. Make quality beer and enjoy it.

Started brewing outside about 10 years ago, but depending on weather in the Windy City, I sometimes go back indoors. Turkey fryer kits are a really good way to get everything you need to accomplish this (including a basket you can use in your Gotte mash tun to hold a bag to filter).
In the spring and summer I use an immersion chiller and pump the hot water into my swimming pool (sort of a home brewers pool heater).
Nothing like a Spring day out back with a fire in the fire pit and brewing a nice aromatic ale to get your juices flowin,!

Funny. After 14 years with propane, I just switched to all electric. I love my Anvil.

I like the versatility of the electric, the consistency in heat (and boil off rate), and the ease of a single vessel without having to spend time dragging out a lot of equipment.  I move between 120v and 240v depending upon the time of year and what I am brewing.
Mobdro

I have a turkey fryer system, and have used it either in the garage or out by the "fire pit" for years. Something about brewing out doors makes the process much less tedious and the session beers consumed much more flavorful.

Luckily for me I have a swimming pool, so when I cool my boil, using a infusion chiller, the hot water goes into the pool (how ecological, can you get?) Then the grains go right out to my bird feeder area.
My wife is not impressed, but I think I pretty much have the world by the short hairs with this!

Back