• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Perfect post-mash gravity, low pre-boil gravity

murddog

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Relatively new to beer smith but I've done a few all grain brews using the program. The only 2 brews I've done have had perfect post mash gravities. However, after I sparge, and take a preboil gravity, I get a very low gravity reading compared to the estimated preboil gravity on the program (roughly 6 gravity points low). I've noticed that beer smiths post mash gravity and preboil gravity are exactly the same? How could this be since sparging involves diluting the original post mash wort? I end up with a much lower alcohol beer because my original gravity is substantially low (approximately 7 gravity points).

I've included images of my session targets. Thanks guys!

Michael

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 4.26.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 4.26.36 PM.png
    174.2 KB · Views: 497
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 4.25.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 4.25.44 PM.png
    284.9 KB · Views: 494
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 4.30.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 4.30.45 PM.png
    144.1 KB · Views: 482
The post mash gravity reading is taken after the sparge, and should be the same as the pre boil unless you top off with water or add fermentables between the two readings. It appears that, for whatever reason, your mash efficiency was lower than predicted.

You misunderstand post mash. It is taken AFTER sparging. And yes, it is the same as pre-boil gravity Unless you are adding top up water, sugar or other fermentables to the boil kettle.

Back