• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash out Water volume calculation

thebeershack

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm new to BS3. Why isn't the mash out volume calculated based on the mash out water temperature? That is, how many gallons of boiling water do I need? Instead, I have to play with the water/grain ratio in the mash profile setup until the temperature approaches boiling. The mash in step and the recipe already describe what's in the mash tun and the temperature. Based on that, the volume of boiling water required to raise the temp to 168F is rather basic calculation. Why bother with the grain ratio? What am I missing here?

No, BeerSmith will not back calculate the water infusion based upon your desired water temperature.  The model uses temperature as a target and not a set parameter for purposes of calculating volume.

If you are setting up your mash profile, then your mash out addition would need to be added as an infusion in order for the step to calculate the needed strike water temperature.  Bit of a hint, you do not need to calculate out the water to grain ratio as you can simply input into the step the volume you desire to use in the 'water to add' box.  Let the program calculate your ending water to grain ratio from the numbers it is given.  The program will then calculate out the temperature the water will need to be and if you are close to boiling it will probably be close enough given some temperature loss.

Thanks man. I saw what it was doing, I just didn't know if I was overlooking a setting somewhere that would allow me to have the software more closely reflect my process. But still, it seems an odd way of doing things. Different paths to the same destination I s'pose...

If you stop to consider how many different combinations of setups and processes are possible, it makes sense that you need to define yours in order to get the results you desire. BeerSmith relies heavily on user inputs for a variety of calculations. This makes an accurate equipment profile and mash profiles a must if you want accurate estimates from the software. As in many other processes, GIGO. (garbage in, garbage out.

Back