• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Batch Size Opinion Solicited

mr_beer

Grandmaster Brewer
Master Brewer
Reaction score
I am considering brewing smaller BIAB batches for testing ? probably about 3 gallon or so.

Is the BS tool for scaling a recipe reasonably accurate and does it produce a good facsimile of the larger recipe?

I realize that this is sort of a vague question but opinions are solicited. 

If you are brewing you small batches on the same equipment you use for full batches it should work just fine.

Actually, I was going to downsize the brew pot -- from 16 gallon to about 10 gallon, possibly a skosh smaller. 

Think I need a new profile??

mr_beer said:
Actually, I was going to downsize the brew pot -- from 16 gallon to about 10 gallon, possibly a skosh smaller. 

Think I need a new profile??

Only if you find out that your process losses (trub, boil off rate) are different from your original profile.  For ease of switching between batch sizes, I would recommend copying the old profile and renaming it so that any changes you make will not affect anything you want to make with your old profile.

Thank you for the quick response.  Much appreciated.

Back