• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Improvements to Remove from Inventory

altgeeky1

Apprentice
Reaction score
Some improvements to Remove From Inventory would be welcome. Here is what happened:

1) My inventory was only partially up to date (forgot to add a couple of new grains and hops)
2) I entered a recipe, which had a lot of different grains and hops (relevant only because of the # of items..)
3) I pressed Remove from Inventory. I got a very small MessageBox that listed 5 or so items were not in inventory and could not be removed.

When you click OK, I expected the 'Remove from Inventory' really failed and did nothing... but the app removes what it can from Inventory.
This creates a problem, what details were lost when I pressed OK? I can't know anymore as the dialog is gone. I think it would be better to completely fail the inventory adjustment and just tell the user that (or present it as an option).  Otherwise you need to write down what couldn't be removed.

I assumed this was how it worked, so once I added in the missing ingredients,  I ran 'Remove from Inventory' AGAIN and wiped out more inventory...

Hi,
  You can use the "Undo" button to undo the "Remove from inventory" if it did not do what you like, but I will certainly change it in future versions to give you the chance to cancel the operation.

Cheers,
Brad

Hi,

I have just had the same issue with the "Remove from Inventory" feature and have as a new user come to search the forums to understand what this process has done to the inventory and what state my inventory is in now because I had forgotten to add common salt to my inventory listing. It good to know I can just undo, however it seems looking back over the post that this subject has been in discussion since 2005 to review and improve this feature. So the question I am thinking now is have I purchased a product that is no longer in development (as the interface does look very Windows 3.1ish) and any issues I do find are not going to be resolved or improved?

Thanks for a reply from a new user... ???

SJ Potter,
  I'm in the middle of a major rewrite of the entire program (V2.0) now where I'm attempting to address as many of these issues as possible as well as move to a cross platform system including the Mac.  As you might imagine it is a massive job, but be patient and I think you will enjoy the results.

Cheers,
Brad

Hi SJPotter, Welcome to the forum, glad to have you here.

To put your worries to rest. Brad has been working diligently at bug fixes along with the major rewrite of the software for V2.0 (that I cant wait to see BTW). I purchased BeerSmith (2 years ago) because Brad was actively working with the software and is an active part of the forum. I had used other brewing software packages but found them to be inferior to BeerSmith along with a lack of support and no updates. You will not find that here. There are active members (Myself included) that go through the forum on a daily basis in an effort to help other brewers with questions about brewing and about the software itself.

Let us know if we can help

Cheers
Preston

Thanks for the reassurance Guys, It always daunting getting to grips with a new program and I now look forward to a new and improved version in the future. The inventory was one of the main reason for buying this particular product and has moved me away from a clunky Excel spreadsheet and finding out as I create or copy a brew recipe that one ingredient is missing or I don't have enough. The ability to adjust the inventory quantities was a real boon. The ease at which I can print and store brew sheets etc is also one of my favourite features.

Keep up the good work guys

Back