• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beersmith has stopped working???

C

CASKer

When I open Beersmith, and bring up my "Recipes to be Brewed," when I double-click on a recipe, I get a window that says "Beersmith has stopped working" and that the program will be closed and Windows will notify me when the program starts working.  Since I'm not trying to update from the internet, what can I do to fix this?

Hi,
  I would try a reinstall first - download the latest version and install it.  It will not overwrite any of your data.

If that does not work, delete the newopts14.opts file as some users have had problems with that file getting corrupted.

Cheers,
Brad

I am also having this problem and have tried your solution but am still having the same problem even after uninstalling and reinstalling.  Could i get more help on this?

Hi,

In most cases this is caused by a corrupt "newopts14.opts" file.

By default BeerSmith is in the "C:\Program Files\BeerSmith" directory.

However under Vista you may also have a "Compatibility files" directory that shows up on the toolbar when you go to the BeerSmith directory.  This is where your data and the opts file likely lives.  The full path to the compatibility diectory is:  C:\Users\{USERNAME}\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\BeerSmith

where USERNAME is your login name for Vista.

If you delete the newopts14.opts directory there you should be in business.  However if that does not work there is also a patch available here:

http://beersmith.com/beersmith_patch.zip

Its a zipped version of the executable only, so you need to extract it and put it in your BeerSmith folder (and the compatibility folder) to replace the existing executable.

Let me know if you have continued problems!  So far we've had no one lose any data and I've been able to get everyone back up and running quickly.

I too am having this same problem, so I downloaded a new copy, installed it & still have the same problem.

Help?

Zac,
  Did you delete the newopts14.opts file - this is the culprit in about 95% of the cases.

Brad

I deleted beersmith completely, and re-installed.

I even deleted the file you reccomend.

Still having problems, any chance there is a support phone number I can call?

Zac,
  Very strange - one more thing to try is to install to a directory under your Documents directory (rather than the program files directory).

Drop me an email as well and perhaps we can arrange a phone call.

Brad

Ok, dug up my old key code, downloaded a fresh copy.

Now I get a network error saying: Windows can not access //A. Check the spelling og the name. Otherwise, their might be a problem with your network.

I click on diagnose, and it says Plug a cable into the LAN, or check my network connection.

What the heck?

I'm on dial-up, but Beersmith worked in the past for me.....

HELP!!!

Zac,
  Does it occur when runnning the main installer or after you have installed and try to run the actual program?

Brad

I didnt install.

Oops.

But I did, and still have the same problem. I go to add ingredients, and the ingredients are blank.

I deleted the reccomended file, and still have the same problem.

I also downloaded the patch as stated before.

It now goes into the network errors, almost like it is trying to connect to the internet to use Beersmith.

Well,
  It is possible you have the automatic updates option set, where it will try to connect to the internet.  If you can get it running, you can go to the options dialog and turn off the automatic update option (Auto update tab of the Options dialog, tools menu).

Brad

Naw, have it set to manual updates.

Would you believe that it is running just fine now?

This is further proof that I really hate computers. They make me look like an ass from time to time.

I think I am good to go, if not, I'll let yuh know!

Appreciate it,
Zac

I hate to Necropost but I am having this same error.

I have performed the recommended actions deleting the file listed and downloaded the patch.

Beerdsmith acts as if it is opening, then nothing. Finally a window will open stating Beersmith stopped working suddenly.

Spoon,
  Usually this indicates one of your files has somehow become corrupt.  The best fix I have found is to reinstall BeerSmith but place it in a different directory, such as a directory under your Documents directory.

Next open the new copy and go to your old install directory and load the Recipes.bsm file then copy/paste any of your old recipes into your My Recipes folder.

If you can't find the correct Recipes.bsm file you may need to go to the virtual storage location (drop me an email and I can walk you through this if needed).

Thanks,
Brad

I removed and reloaded in a different file location C:/user/public/games and it works fine now. Thanks for the suggestion.

Back