• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Bravo Hops Profile

G

gpribula

I was wondering if anyone has used Bravo hops. They are high alpha and appear to be a good choice for bittering in pale ales. In particular I would like to know what their HSI would be; and any info on uses and flavor, aroma, and bittering characteristics.

This should get you started.

Bravo Hop Characteristics:

Alplha Acids: 14.-17.%
Cohumulone: 29-34% of alpha acids
Beta-Acids: 3-5% w/w
Total Hop Oils: 1.6-2.4% v/w
HSI - don't now that.

Based on your interest in Bravo, you should check out Summit also.

Summit Characteristics : Citrus (orange, tangerine, grapefruit)
Styles : American Pale Ale, American IPA
Similar Hops : Cascade, Amarillo
Summit is a recently-released high-alpha (17 to 19% AAU) hop variety. It is a dwarf variety grown on a low trellis system.

I guessing that since they are both so new, the Hop Stability Indexes haven't been established.

I'm a fan of Summit hops. I tried some in SWMBO's Wit (turned out great and really accentuated the Citrus), an Imperial Stout (Interesting but I don't know if I would do it again), and an APA (VERY TASTY!). All of which were a big hit at a Prop Pop's annual pot luck dinner. They drank most of SWMBO's Wit tho which she was not happy about and later told me to step up her batches to 10G. Anything to keep SWMBO happy!

I would be careful using Summit as anything but a bittering hops. The High levels of Alpha acids and being that the Cohumulone is upwards of 30% of it. IMO makes it not suitable for anything but a bittering hops. My local HBS does not carry Bravo so I have not tried it yet but since it has the same characteristics I would say the same for it.

Cheers
Preston

Back