• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Issues with Preview Pane and Previewing brewsheet

G

gedc

Guys..100% sure this is a hardware issue and not beersmith but hopefully someone can confirm. Had beersmith running on my desktop and decided to run it on my laptop so its available to me in the garage whilst brewing etc. Its a company laptop that has an admin account and also a user (me) account. The IT team were fine with me installing and opened up the admininstrator priviledges so I can install. Beersmith appears to install fine and everything runs okay whilst in admin account mode. When I change to my login, I can locate beersmith under the start menu programs and it all runs fine apart from the preview pane and brewsheet previews - both of which talk about a server not working and net access down..the usual message you get about checking connections etc...I am guessing beersmith is looking for some template etc but cant find it..What and where do I copy over thanks?

Cheers for any help or thoughts.

Ged

It sounds like when the application installed, it installed under the admin account only. What version of windows are you using.  To fix this you will need to do a couple things. I make the assumption that its 2K or XP.

1. Log in as the admin account you installed with and right mouse click on the start button and choose explore. This will bring up the explorer window for C:\documents and settings\user\start menu.
2. Expand programs and look for BeerSmith. Copy BeerSmith then browse to C:\documents and settings\all users\start menu\programs and paste BeerSmith there.
3. Next browse to C:\program files\beersmith. Right mouse click on the directory BeerSmith and go to Properties. Select the Security tab and make sure either your user account is in there, domain users, or Local users. If not add any of the three by clicking on the add button. You should also note that you may want to do this from the advanced security settings and replace the permissions for all child objects.

Cheers
Preston

Hi,
  My suggestion if possible would be to just install it in a directory under your personal account (such as a directory under your My Documents directory).  This avoids most of the issues with permissions between accounts you are running into.

Cheers,
Brad

Apologies if this is a double post...Installed under docs on my account and all is well. Now to start brewing!

Thanks again for your timely help.

Ged

;D

BeerSmith said:
Hi,
  My suggestion if possible would be to just install it in a directory under your personal account (such as a directory under your My Documents directory).  This avoids most of the issues with permissions between accounts you are running into.
Cheers,
Brad
Always taking the easy way out! That does make sense tho. Guess it is the IT person in me that makes things harder than they have to be.

MOVE! (Obscure SNL Reference:)

Cheers
Preston

Back