• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

wit beer

drp53188

Apprentice
Reaction score
need to sub ground coriander for seed , anybody know the amount
also could not get bitter orange peel but have orange extract, what do you think?????  Don

My friend, I just brewed a Wit today. I used .5 oz of seed (make sure you crush them) and boiled for 2 minutes. The advice I got from an expert (was .5 crushed for ten minutes, but I was looking for a light flavor as far as the seeds). I used two fresh lemons and two fresh naval oranges, and CAREFULLY grated the zest of of the. I also used one oz of fresh Chamomile. all of these were mixed together prior to putting into pot and I have to say, The smel was wonderful. I wouldn't personally use the orange extract. The real deal is SOOOOOO much better. Let me know what you decide on. Mine is started to bubble away already with a pleasant aroma. The wort was good enough to drink non alcoholic. I truly believe it was the fresh ingredients. Chamomile was a GREAT idea as well. Good luck,
Chris.

I make a Wit for the wife and use 1tsp of seed's with a morter and pestle. Do not grind them to a pulp, merely break the seed's up. There are numerous books out there that tell you that fresh is always better. Speaking from experience, I would have to agree. If you get the bitter orange peel from HBS it has the pulp on it, from what I have read it is ill advised to use the pulp. For a 5G/19L batch I use 1 organic lemon, 2 organic oranges, and 1 organic grapefruit (I think it was from Randy Mosher's book "Designing Great Beer's"). I use organic because the amount of pesticides used is lessened. You still need to wash the fruit, but it should be better for you and your beer!

I will have to try the Chamomile addition, that sounds like it would be a nice addition! I have also heard of using Star Anise, but I'm not into the licorice flavor...
Hope this helps

Back