• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hop question ...

SkyFlyer

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hello all.  Hope things are good!

I was given about 5 pounds of Cascade hops by a friend.  It was my lucky day!
These were not dried, but vacuum packed and frozen fresh.
So, upon opening a package, they are damp.
My question is about how much of the hops to add.
If the recipe takes 4 oz. of the hop, how much might I need to add of the damp hops?
Since the moisture would add to the weight, I'm assuming I would need to add more than 4 oz.
I know this will be a judgment call on my part, but would like your thoughts on the matter.
I have until this weekend to figure out what I will do.
Thanks in advance ...

About 5 times the amount called for in the recipe.

When dried, if I remember correctly from the Grow-Hops Yahoo Group, the fresh hops weigh about 5 times as much as they do when dried properly. They also sometimes impart a grassy taste to the beer.

If you have enough of them, you could thaw them, dry them on a window screen away from sunlight in a warm but not hot place, one or two hops deep at most, then use the dried hops as you normally would. A cool place will work but it might take a day or two longer.

I have the option to use fresh hops (wet hops), since I grow my own, but don't because of the reports of a grassy flavor in the beers made by our members in that group. There might be some beers where it is appropriate, and some people like it that way, so try it and see if you like it if you want to. Or, dry them and then you won't decide later that you wished you hadn't used fresh hops.

Don

Back