• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Recipe formulation by percentage

G

ggltd

I have been trying to design some recipes lately by info from the brewery web sites, where grain bills are given in percentage of total. I have not been able to do this in BeerSmith by adding grain by percentage only. I guess at the weight per grain bill after dialing in the S.G. and style, then it's hit or miss while looking at the percentage number in the spreadsheet. Kind of ass backwards when you may have 2 or 3 specialty grains on top of the base malt.  Am I missing something here or is there a way to change the parameters to enter grain bills by percentage first?

No,
  There is no way to enter by percentage except to enter the grains and adjust them manually.

It is an interesting idea though - perhaps a tool to let you select the grains and adjust the percentages in a single dialog.

Cheers,
Brad

Here is one way of doing it:

Example:
90% base malt
7% specialty malt 1
3% specialty malt 2

1) Create a new recipe
2) Enter 90 lbs base malt
3) Enter 7 lbs specialty malt 1
4) Enter 3 lbs specialty malt 2

Off course your OG will be way off. To correct this, press the Gravity-button (or choose Actions -> Adjust Gravity), enter the desired target OG, press OK and BeerSmith will correct the amounts of grains to suit your needs.

Mr. P:  Thanks for the post- your suggestion make perfect sense. I always say sometimes if you can't raise the bridge, lower the water...makes people nuts at the office... and maybe our good benefactor will write the code to make this a feature in the next release.  It would make cloning easier for us who follow the Jamil show...most of the interviews with the breweries are talking about percentages.

Pardon the resurrection of an old thread, but I'd been searching for a way to do this in BeerSmith.  I'd like to second the request for support for building recipes by percentage.  It would be very helpful, indeed.

The percentages are given in BS and you could go by that when creating a recipe. However your best bet is to do as Mr.P says and then adjust the gravity and it will scale back.

Cheers
Preston

Djehuty said:
Pardon the resurrection of an old thread, but I'd been searching for a way to do this in BeerSmith.  I'd like to second the request for support for building recipes by percentage.  It would be very helpful, indeed.
+1. Would make cloning that much easier. Thanks

Back