• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hello from central New York

clef

Apprentice
Reaction score
I've been brewing for almost a year now.  What a great hobby we homebrewers have.  I have about 10 5 gallon batches under my belt.

Happy brewing,
Chris :)

clef said:
I've been brewing for almost a year now.   What a great hobby we homebrewers have.  I have about 10 5 gallon batches under my belt.

Happy brewing,

That is a goodly amount.  Do you bottle or keg?

Yesterday I began the process of bottling 18 gallons of various styles.  I will finish up this morning.  I think kegging is in the near future,  ;D

Rep said:
Yesterday I began the process of bottling 18 gallons of various styles. 

Wow, and I'm dragging my feet to bottle 4 gals.  I need to stop procrastinating. 

Rep said:
clef said:
I've been brewing for almost a year now.   What a great hobby we homebrewers have.  I have about 10 5 gallon batches under my belt.

Happy brewing,

Yesterday I began the process of bottling 18 gallons of various styles.  I will finish up this morning.  I think kegging is in the near future,   ;D
I'm bottling, actually I have to bottle a batch today.  I'm just working up the energy after working all night.  I really want to get a good kegging system hooked up sometime, just need the money for it.  I'm curious about the "18 gallons of various styles" that you have to bottle. 

clef said:
Rep said:
clef said:

Happy brewing,

Yesterday I began the process of bottling 18 gallons of various styles.  I will finish up this morning.  I think kegging is in the near future,   ;D
I'm bottling, actually I have to bottle a batch today.  I'm just working up the energy after working all night.  I really want to get a good kegging system hooked up sometime, just need the money for it.  I'm curious about the "18 gallons of various styles" that you have to bottle. 

My base set of priorities in this hobby is to expend resources to make better beer.  Therefore the convenience of kegging has been set aside until other, beer improvement pieces of equipment are purchased.

To answer the 18 gallon comment....

This summer I began converting my propane fired gravity fed three tier wooden structure to a single tier, pump driven steel system powered by natural gas.  My second main priority is to make the best beer I can as cheaply as possible.  NG is less expensive than propane.  This goal also drives me to scrounge for materials and build my own equipment.  That is a huge part of this hobby.  For me.

Anyway, I accumulated 18 gallons of various styles because my system took longer to build than anticipated.  Having given my old system away to new brewers, I did not brew from July until mid October.

To test out and dial in my new system I began brewing a series of five gallon, then eight gallon batches.  I brewed my house beers, (A Pale Ale and an American Amber Ale.) and began looking at an IPA that I brewed a couple of times to develop as a house beer in that style.  I needed to increase my depleted inventory.

Therefore, I ended up with eighteen gallons of a Pale Ale, American Amber Ale and a couple batches of an IPA.

On Wednesday my plan is to step up to ten gallons for the first time and brewing an Irish Red I have enjoyed in the past.

I tend to approach this hobby systematically using a step by step approach to my learning and enjoyment.

I will begin developing an all electric system for use when I move to my dedicated, "Brewery on Vance Creek".  But that is a couple years in the future.  In the meantime I will continue my two goals, possibly with an exception.  I may move kegging forward.

Back