• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Switching Computers

luthierzan

Apprentice
Reaction score
OK so I just bought my new laptop.
I now need to transfer all of my info ie recipes, personal grain/hop/etc data base, equipement info, to my new laptop.
How do I do this?
Where are the files, and what are the file names/extensions

Thanks
David Oh

Never mind, I found it in the archives
Thanks
David

Nice Software by the way!

I need to reinstall Beersmith also. Where can I find direction's? I have a new drive in my computer. I also have the old drive with my paid copy of Beersmith and files on it.

To move to a new computer, simply download the latest version from our web site and install BeerSmith on your new computer.

You can retrieve your key from your old computer by going to the "Enter Registration Key" command on the Help menu.

To move over your recipes or other data, go to your old PC and export anything you want (such as all of your recipes) to a BSM file using the Export command from the File menu.  You can do this from My Recipes view or any of the Hops, Grains, other views depending on what you wish to export.

On the new PC just use the Import and Merge into the appropriate view to import the BSM files you saved from your old computer.

Cheers!
Brad

My laptop died.  I have access to the laptop hard drive.  Before it died, I did not "export" any of my recipes, equipment or water profiles to a BSM file. 

I reinstalled BSmith on the desktop.  If I access the recipe, water or equipment BSM file located on the old drive, none of my info is saved.  Is there anyway to recover it?

You should be able to import the old BSM files and then copy/paste or Import and merge any items you want to preserve as long as you have access to the old files.

Cheers,
Brad

Finally figured it out.  I switched from a computer running Vista to a computer running XP.  I had to import the files located at {Drive}:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files not the files located at Program {Drive}:\Files\BeerSmith.

Phewy.

Back