Author Topic: Level up to BeerSmith  (Read 4018 times)

Offline Ziggybrew

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
Level up to BeerSmith
« on: May 11, 2010, 05:46:50 PM »
Hey everybody! Nube poking around in the forum. I'm from Central PA and am new to home brewing, winemaking, etc.

Been brewing since Christmas. Currently fermenting batches 12 & 13. Have been trying to learn about styles, hop usage, and yeast. Learned a lot from reading Palmer's How To Brew. Wanted to use and understand BeerSmith before switching from extract to All-Grain.

Right now, I experimented with some available ingredients and am looking forward to the results. Just not quite sure what I have brewed LOL. Somebody said it might be a Scotch Ale. 8# of light LME and 2# of amber LME, 1/2 oz. of Columbus (14.6%) and some Windsor yeast. ???

Offline MaltLicker

• Global Moderator
    • Blue Ribbon Brews
Re: Level up to BeerSmith
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 01:19:06 PM »
10# extract in five gallons is pretty malty.  Windsor is kinda fruity, so that may depend on the ferm temps. 

Are you steeping any specialty grains yet, or just extract?  If not, that would be a next step. 

Offline Pirate Point Brewer

• Cold Beer is Best at a Sunny Beach!
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 04:06:07 PM »
Ziggybrew,

It sounds like you are going to fun brewing. The best match I could find was style 19A Old Ale. You are right at the low end of gravity, color is fine, IBU is a little light, out of style range. If the Windsor yeast can get down to 1.015, it'll be a nice 6% brew. It definitely won't be a Bud Lite Clone!! ;D

Maltlicker is correct. Keep learning!

Preston
In Fall and Winter, we burn wood in the fireplace and brew beer.
In Spring & Summer, we're on the water or walking the beach!
 Then back at the dock we create a reason to brew!

Offline Ziggybrew

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 10:35:40 AM »
Looking at my notes, I lied. It was a pack of Notty. (The Windsor went in my 2 gallon experiment) The OG was 1.068. the room was kept at a steady 63 (according to all my other carboys) yet when it was at it's peak fermenting activity, it stayed at a steady 70 degrees.
Category 23? LOL.   I'll probably keg it this weekend and have a preview sip.