• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Ingredient List in recipe view doesn't show anything

A

ajwillys

Hi,
I'm not sure what happened but at some point, my BeerSmith installation started having a problem.  Every time I click to view a specific recipe, the entire Ingredient list is empty.  It doesn't show anything.  They are still there because when I click the Brew Sheet button, it still shows all the ingredients.  Of course, this makes it very difficult (impossible) to create recipes.

I'm using Windows 7 and I tried installing a new version over top, but I haven't yet uninstalled/reinstalled.

Thanks!
Andrew

Hi,

In most cases this is caused by a corrupt "newopts14.opts" file.

By default BeerSmith is in the "C:\Program Files\BeerSmith" directory.

However under Vista you may also have a "Compatibility files" directory that shows up on the toolbar when you go to the BeerSmith directory.  This is where your data and the opts file likely lives.  The full path to the compatibility diectory is:  C:\Users\{USERNAME}\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\BeerSmith

where {USERNAME} is your login name for Vista.

If you delete the newopts14.opts directory there you should be in business. 

Let me know if you have continued problems!  So far we've had no one lose any data and I've been able to get everyone back up and running quickly.

Brad

I'm having the exact same issue, though just followed your directions below and it's resolved.  Thanks!

Ok, so I renamed the newopt14.opts file and fixed the issue.  The answer to my seems obvious but I want to make sure.  Is that file not needed?  If not, I guess I wonder why it was there in the first place.  Sorry, but my job is installing software so those kind of questions come to my mind.

Hi,
  Yes the file does store some options, but they are relatively minor (ingredient widths for display on recipe page and a few others).

Brad

I just recently encountered the same problem.  In Vista I can't find the file or directory as described.  Is there something else I should be looking for?

I found the file in the virtual store -- it was hidden, my fault -- but I've deleted it several times, and the file just reappears when I restart Beersmith.  I've tried renaming it and the same thing happens.  I think there's another solution out there, this one doesn't seem to work.

If you still can't get it to work, you can reinstall to another directory.  I recommend installing it to a subdirectory under your Documents directory as this will avoid any problems with hidden directories.

Be sure to export your recipes and any other data you want before reinstalling.

Brad

Back