• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Adding a boil time to Dextrose

mikehansen

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi. I can't seem to find how to add a boil time to Dextrose. The boil time box is grayed out, and I don't know what I need to do to enable it. Any help is appreciated.

Regards,
Mike

I assume that the length of boil time is irrelevant and therefore just automatically 60 minutes. Maybe I have something to learn about dextrose. How does boil time affect dextrose?

I don't know that it does. I saw it added in another recipe, and I was trying to figure out how he did it, for the sake of clarity in the recipe. Yes, I could write it in the notes, but if I could put the boil time next to the item as the person did in the other recipe, then I know that it gets thrown in the boil too, and not just added to the fermenter.

In short, someone else was able to do it, so I want to know how too.  ;D

Sorry, I give up. I messed around with the program and could not figure it out either. Brad or somebody will have an answer for you.

Looking back over some of my extract batches; I did see a couple of recipes where the adjuncts (dextrose) was added later in the boil. My guess would be to get better hop isomerization.

Thanks again, Ziggybrew. You've been very helpful in each of the threads that I posted. And even if we couldn't figure it out, you tried, and I appreciate it!

Thanks,
Mike

Mike,
  If you are brewing an extract recipe, you can open the dextrose and mark it as a late extract addition.  There is a checkbox and time for this within the "grain/malt" profile for the ingredient.

Brad

Back