• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Storing Lager

Harold

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm in the process of brewing my first lager. I've recently obtained a used refrigerator so I can maintain the necessary fermenting and lagering temperatures. My problem now is what at what temperatures to store the bottled beer. The only place I have to store the bottles is in my basement which goes from about 65F in winter to the low 70's in summer. Is that going to be a problem? I can get a second used refrigerator if it would be better to store the bottles at a colder temperature.

Thanks,

Harold

Are you then bottle carbonating them?  To carbonate, the yeast needs to keep on fermenting then bottling sugar so you need to treat it like a fermentation.  Same temperature for the bottles as the fermentor.  If your fermenting frige is now open because you'ved bottled what was in the fermentor, then put the bottles in it.

My basement stays around 66 all year and I have kept bottles down there in the dark most of the year without a problem. Find a nice, cool place for them for the summertime. winter isn't a problem, that I can see.
And when you go to bottle let the beer sit about 64 for a day or 2. I found that it helps in the carbonation of the beer. Hope this helps! Cheers!
Jeremy

Keep the beer away from light. Light is what causes the beer to "skunk". A typical lager will have an expiration date printed on it. Stored properly, the beer will taste fine for several months past the expiration date. After that, the flavor might begin to diminish, but it will not hurt you to consume it.

Back