Author Topic: Hello from, Buffalo, NY  (Read 3147 times)

Offline 26Brews!

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
Hello from, Buffalo, NY
« on: March 02, 2011, 05:15:58 PM »
New Member: I thought I would check this site out since I'm about to get into "All Grain" brewing for the first time ever. After listening to Brad's most recent Podcast, I am without question going to use the (BIAB) method. I can't wait to try it. My first brew will be an Irish Red Ale. I look forward to learning and sharing information. I chose 26Brews! as my user name because when I brew at home, it is truly "Micro Brew" as I only brew 2.5 gallon batches that almost always yield me 26 - 12 ounce bottles. Cheers!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 05:25:31 PM by 26Brews! »

Offline Ziggybrew

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
Re: Hello from, Buffalo, NY
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 06:13:01 PM »
BIAB is the way to go for your size batch. Then again, the more I hear about Brew In A Bag; it might be fine for ten gallon batches too. I'm interested in the concept. Welcome to the forum and welcome to all-grain. I bet six months from now you'll be wanting to change your user name to 106brews ;D

Offline 26Brews!

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
Re: Hello from, Buffalo, NY
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 07:39:37 AM »
Thanks for the welcome message. Sorry I am responding so late. I didn't realize that I had a reply because I'm still trying to get used to the forum site and how everything works. Well I did make the 2.5 gallon batch of Irish Red Ale using the BIAB Method and I must say I am very pleased so far. I'm actually getting ready to bottle it today so it will be 2-4 weeks before I can say whether or not it was a complete sucsess. It smells very malty and the color looks good so I'm on track with the style (I used Beersmith software) my target gravity was 1.052 and I hit 1.048. I think I definately would have hit 1.052 but I made a mistake that I didn't realize until later that day: I forgot to raise the mash temp to 168 and do a "mash-out. I can't wait for Brad's new software version that will have the BIAB method written into the program. Thanks again for the welcome and your right, I will increase my batch size soon. Cheers!

modification