• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

blichmann therminator

econolinevan

Master Brewer
Reaction score
I have just ordered one of these since I am going to the ten gallon batches.  Anyone out there have any experience to share about theirs?  :) :( 

The therminator has been one the best investments I made. Add the thrumometer( Northern Brewer $25) on the outlet, really makes it nice. You can dial temps in by adjusting cold water to keep your temp consistant. It will cool your wort as fast as you can pump it thru it.

MCB

I have the thrumometer and the therminator fed by a march pump which is connected to the brew kettle.  P have an ice chest full of ice water to chill the plate chiller. I have a ball valve after the thrumometer to control the flow rate.    I usually circulate back into the kettle for 10 minutes to sterilize the plate chiller.  I then reduce the flow rate and turn on the pond pump that pushed the icewater through the plate chiller.  I continue to adjust the flow rate and monitor the thrumometer to hit a my target temp.  This can be pretty tricky and I don't have it nailed yet, but that is the gist of how I do it.

Has anyone had any experience with those "cheaper" 40-plate chillers? I have a Blichmann 20 and love their products, but if I can achieve the same effect for less than half the price, I'm all ears.

Back