• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Moose Drool clone?

ol

Brewer
Reaction score
Hello,

I am just getting stated with BeerSMith and really like it!
I am looking for a recipe to clone Moose Drool (Big Sky Brewery, MT). Anybody has it?

Thanks guys! ;)

Did a search for it and came up with this http://www.bigskybrew.com/farum/read.php?f=3&i=69&t=69 ... doesn't sound promising.

well.... I think I will just have to go for trial and errors...
Thank you for finding that though!! (a bit scary...)

Send an email to info@bigskybrew.com

You would be really surprised to find out how helpful micro brewers can be.  Most of these guys were home brewers once.  I emailed and they gave me some good pointers to the brew.  I can't find the stinking recipe now.  Never be afraid to contact a brewer for help.  The worst they can say is no.

You can try, but I'm like ol, and that article scared me a tad, but all you can do is try.

Got this recipe for Moose Drool from a brewing freind awhile back, havn't had the opportunity to brew it yet but he told me it was a pretty close match.

Grain bill:

9# Pale Malt
1# Crystal 80
.5# Flaked Oats
.25# Choclate Malt
.25# Carapils
1oz Black Patent Malt

Hops:

1oz EKG - FWH
1oz Liberty - 30min
.5oz Willamet - 5min
.5oz Liberty - 0min

Yeast:

Wyeast 1968 - ESB Yeast

Single infusion mash at 154 deg
75% efficiency with an OG of 1.053 for 5.5 gallons

Hope this helps.

Thanks Hornbrau

I will give it a shot maybe next week and let you guys know in a month or so. Looking at the recipe, that looks about right...

Hey hornbrau,

What is EKG hop? and what is FWH (60min in the boil?)

EKG = East Kent Goldings

FWH = First wort hops, the hops go into the wort collection pot after recirc is complete, tends to impart more hop flavor and less bitterness than the same addition at 60min.

So I tasted it after a week, there was no carbonation but it was even better than moose drool!!!
Nevertheless, after 4 weeks the taste changed and i can feel more and more hops bitterness and not enough aroma and flavor and not enough malt. The head is really poor and it needs more chocolate malt. I'm on the right track but not there yet. I need to taste more of those, I will let you know.

a year later... i had some issues..

The clone is good, it needed some aging. not exactly a perfect clone though... I will try again soon with more crystal and maybe some special B.
I like malty beer!!

akz,

your recipe looks very promising. I ll give it a shot in january!

I finally brewed the second recipe! I bottled it last week and I will try the first bottle next week probably... I'll keep you posted if I do not forget (again...)

Kind of funny to see this here.  One of my favorite local brews was from a KC area brewpub (75th St. Brewery) that they sold at one of the restaurants in their group (KC Hopps) called The Blue Moose.  They had a beer called Moose Drool that was an Amber Ale.  REALLY good.  But they had to change the name because the brewery in MT was going to sue them.  Thought it was ridiculous considering that beer wasn't sold outside of this little (and I mean little) restaurant in Prairie Village, KS (think about it, PRAIRIE VILLAGE!) and the upset brewery was in MT and didn't distribute into KS or MO.  I'd be VERY interested in sampling some someday just to see what all the brew-ha-ha was about!  Thankfully for me they just changed the name to Fountain City Amber (and won a medal or two at the GABF) and I got a couple of pint glasses and a T-shirt out of the deal since they had to liquidate their merchandise with the name!

OK.  Not really relevant, but, to me, interesting.

Indeed, pretty interesting. To bad we live in a such a judiciary world. Moose Drool (made in Missoula, MT) is one of the most popular MT brew. It is a lightly carbonated dark amber well, not very hoppy with a great maltyness balance. I really like and I'll try again to clone it...

Ol,

(isn't that Norwegian for beer, without the umlouts?)  You've made me thirsty just describing it!  I've obviously never had it.  The Kansas counterpart is a American Amber Ale with a little hop aftertaste (but mild) on a sweet, rich malty body.  Of course it's only served on tap, and at one restaurant about 1 mile from where it's brewed, so it's ALWAYS fresh.  They have a special on Thursday's where ALL beers are $1.50, except Guiness.  I make it in after work on occasion and am always aghast to see that, although they have this fantastic beer on tap AND Sierra Nevada Pale Ale on tap as well as 3 other local beers (on tap) that most people are drinking Bud Light!!!!  UUGGGHH!  Oh well, it leaves more for me.  And at $1.50/pint, you can be in and out, with tip, for well under $10.

This is a recipe I got out of BYO mag.  You need to bottle age but comes out pretty darn tasty.

2.50 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 30.94 %
3.75 lb Pilsner Liquid Extract (3.5 SRM) Extract 46.41 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 12.38 %
0.50 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 6.19 %
0.33 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4.08 %
1.20 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 18.1 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 1.7 IBU
0.50 oz Liberty [4.30 %] (5 min) Hops 1.3 IBU
1 Pkgs English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) Yeast-Ale  or
1 Pkgs London ESB Ale (Wyeast Labs #1968) Yeast-Ale 

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.050 SG