Author Topic: Have you made a.....  (Read 2887 times)

Offline MikeinWA

• BeerSmith Master Brewer
Have you made a.....
« on: April 19, 2011, 06:43:37 PM »
Have you made a whiskey or bourbon Porter before?  If so, then what would you have done differently?  What did you do well?

I have seen several people post questions on this beer and  I wanted to make a high gravity version.  I have an idea how I want to do it but would like to hear the input of those who have made it or want to make it.

Offline MaltLicker

• Global Moderator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
    • Blue Ribbon Brews
Re: Have you made a.....
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 08:24:25 PM »
I have added bourbon to a porter twice at bottling, just to have a 2nd entry for comps.  Took about 10% to be noticeable. 

If I was doing a whole batch, I think I would add the bourbon at secondary so as not to kill the yeast and mess up fermentation.

Offline MikeinWA

• BeerSmith Master Brewer
Re: Have you made a.....
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 10:17:15 PM »
That was my plan.  From what I have read the whiskey is added right before bottling or kegging.  Lightly roasted oak chips are added during the secondary.

1 1/2  to 2 cups of whiskey or bourbon per 5 gal.  The oak chips need to be added near the end of the secondary and tasted frequently to make sure it does not add too much smoke flavor.

That's about it.  I was hoping for more people that had made this type of beer in either a stout or porter.  I plan on making the porter about 9%.  Should be at least a year for the flavors to really blend.  At least that was the case for my barleywine.

modification